Stressful Introduction

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NotKate

I may just need reassurance here, that I'm not totally messing this up...

I have two boys, Pickle and Radar, who are about six months old. In December I rescued Hercules from a series of unhappy homes. I think he's older than them, anywhere from 6-14 months according to the vet.

I've been trying for 2 1/2 weeks to get them to tolerate their cages being near each other. It started slow, ten minutes next door, then twenty, then an hour went by and nobody got upset. So I rearranged the room so the cages could sit a few feet apart. The boys started sparring more, so just to be safe I moved Hercules back across the room for a night to let them calm down, and brought him back in the morning. After a few days I started inching the cages closer together and swapping blankets. Pickle and Hercules were sleeping on each other's blankets and everyone seemed curious and excited but not aggressive. Two days ago I let both parties explore the others' cage, and deep cleaned the cages before putting them back home. Pickle and Hercules were chill, but Radar was NOT okay with this - heavy breathing, puffy fur and over-grooming one spot on his back.

So, I moved Hercules across the room again. The following evening I brought him back and it lasted less than ten minutes before Radar was huffing and Hercules was fighting his water bottle. So away they went. Today I brought him back while everyone was asleep, but as soon as Radar woke up he started huffing again.

It's taken a big step backward and they aren't tolerating what they were fine with before. Radar is not the dominant rat of the two but he is definitely most upset.

Is this just how it goes? I expected introducing three intact males to be hard, but wow. Am I messing this up? Do I need to think about neutering what is usually my mellowest guy? Or do I just need to carry on and really stretch out my expected timeline?

It's very common for rats to be very upset when there's a new guy in town. You need to allow them to get used to being next to each other. I would leave the cages side by side. And I would continue to add items from the each others cages as well. Radar needs to "get used" to the idea that Hercules is somewhere near them. Rats have very poor eye sight so they rely mostly on smell and touch. I bet Radar will only calm down once he starts to physically meet Hercules. How old are the two boys? If Radar doesn't calm down, he may need a neuter to help him cope with his frustrations.

Okay, thank you. I'll carry on but maybe not expect total calm before face to face intros.
The two are about six months, which I know is a tricky time to be meeting a new guy...

Back