Strange rat noises

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F

Faithbert

Last week I bought two male rats (Sweet Pea and Honeycomb) and I could instantly tell the differences they had. Sweet Pea is outgoing, playful, and he loves treats. He also loves to groom my hand when he sees it. Now with Honeycomb... He’s the polar opposite. Honeycomb doesn’t like to move around and he does not like to be handled. He doesn’t care about treats either. He nibbles, but its more aggressive. Other than that, they also show very strange symptoms of something. They both seem to sneeze (Honeycomb has the worst of it), and Honeycomb makes really strange noises I’ve never heard before. If anyone can watch the video, can you please give me advice on what it possibly is and what I can do to help?

I would take him in for a vet visit asap as he may need medication

Rats get new home sneezes but they should only last for a few days so depending on when got them, something in the environment may be causing the sneezing or they may be ill.
Make sure their environment is scent free, and that the bedding is not dusting as something may be irritating his respiratory system.

Jorats and Lilspaz68 can likely provide better feedback

To be honest, this is pretty strange. But it could be the bedding or the toys your rat has. (If they have to do ANYTHING with pine wood then it is highly suggested that you change it with a different wood bedding and or toys.) If the bedding you're using has to much dust in it then it's not good and you should really switch it out. The ways you can tell if your bedding has to much dust is by looking at it in it's packaging. If it has a lot of dust in it then it's to dusty. Pick something else and make sure you look at that too.

Back