Strange noises

Jaana

Member
Joined
May 7, 2019
Messages
6
Location
United Kingdom
Hello,
So Gizmo is about 11 weeks old now (we got him 3 weeks ago) and I have noticed that he seems to be making strange noises a lot. He does seems to get very nervous and this is when it particularly happens. Is it a respiratory infection or just signs of stress/anxiety? I don't see any porphin, he seems to be eating and drinking still.

Please see video. Sorry it's a bit dark.


Coco my girl rat recently managed to escape our living room and came in where the boys are kept in the bedroom. could it be because of this, although we had briefly put them together for a few mins and they seem fine together.

I do have an appointment booked in for the vets tomorrow.

EDIT: this is the most recent video taken on the 11/06

 
Last edited:

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals
Joined
Jul 21, 2007
Messages
17,199
Location
central New Brunswick Canada
If you put them together, no matter how briefly, I hope that Coco is spayed or the boys are neutered because it only takes a few seconds
Glad you have a vet appointment booked for tomorrow
 

Jaana

Member
Joined
May 7, 2019
Messages
6
Location
United Kingdom
I will bare this in mind. I took him to the vets today instead and now he is on 0.2ml baytril a day for 7 days.
 

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals
Joined
Jul 21, 2007
Messages
17,199
Location
central New Brunswick Canada
If the baytril helps, he will need to be on it for at least 4 weeks to 6 weeks or he will not be better even if the symptoms are no longer noticeable. http://ratguide.com/meds/antimicrobial_agents/enrofloxacin_baytril.php

Vets sometimes only prescribe meds for a short time period to see if they will help.
If the baytril does not help enough, other meds may need to be added or he may need different meds

I hope Gizmo is soon feeling much better
 

Jaana

Member
Joined
May 7, 2019
Messages
6
Location
United Kingdom
Oh
If the baytril helps, he will need to be on it for at least 4 weeks to 6 weeks or he will not be better even if the symptoms are no longer noticeable. http://ratguide.com/meds/antimicrobial_agents/enrofloxacin_baytril.php

Vets sometimes only prescribe meds for a short time period to see if they will help.
If the baytril does not help enough, other meds may need to be added or he may need different meds

I hope Gizmo is soon feeling much better
Oh 4-6 weeks. Defiantly don't have enough then. I'm wondering if I can just ring up and get a repeat of it if he does get better. I did take him to a different vets, because I didn't want to wait.
 

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals
Joined
Jul 21, 2007
Messages
17,199
Location
central New Brunswick Canada
Oh

Oh 4-6 weeks. Defiantly don't have enough then. I'm wondering if I can just ring up and get a repeat of it if he does get better. I did take him to a different vets, because I didn't want to wait.

Since the vet has already examined him, as far as I know most vets will do that
 

jorats

Loving rats since 2002.
Staff member
Admin
Joined
Jul 21, 2007
Messages
45,188
Location
Northeastern Ontario
I agree, he will need to be on it for a few weeks for it to be effective. If you feel he's getting worse in a week or not getting much better, I'd go back for a recheck and ask for an extra med added to the baytril, like doxy or Zithromax.
 

Jaana

Member
Joined
May 7, 2019
Messages
6
Location
United Kingdom
I agree, he will need to be on it for a few weeks for it to be effective. If you feel he's getting worse in a week or not getting much better, I'd go back for a recheck and ask for an extra med added to the baytril, like doxy or Zithromax.

okay thank you. I am going to register him to my normal vets and speak to them about getting some more for another few more weeks. Hopefully he does improve and if not I will be taking him back. How long should I wait until I feel that he isn't improving?
 

Jaana

Member
Joined
May 7, 2019
Messages
6
Location
United Kingdom
Okay so this video that I had taken this evening. He just doesn't sound good and it's really concerning me. Should I just make another appointment to the vets, or wait it out for a few more days?

 

Latest posts

Top