Still Angry, I Want Your Help

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jake S.

Hello all,
I'm not sure if any of you remember my post about getting my two new ladies from a pet store in Portland. (Thread: Pet Stores are a Rescue Themselves, or something like that.) The jist is that they kept rats in god-awful conditions.
My blood still boils whenever I think about it and I want to report it to someone. The issue I'm having is through internet research, I can't find anything regarding rat protecting laws in my state. I was wondering if anyone had sources that addressed this kind of cruelty or any information that could help me.

Bonus points if you have any pointers for what I should say in my report.

I know the laws are disgustingly relaxed when it comes to rats, but I'm praying there's something I can use to help them. It broke my heart seeing those rats in that condition.
Petition to dismiss theft charges if you steal rats from terrible people?
Thanks for you help.

Does Portland have a branch of the ASPCA? That would be where I’d start. Call them and see what’s required. Calling the cops might prove useful, too. They can tell you how to go about filing a complaint.

Also, if you can go back to the store and get pictures of the conditions the rats are kept in, it would probably be very helpful. You can never have too much evidence.

We do, but the only thing I can find regarding them on their website is about keeping rat poison away from dogs :mad: I'll have to call them and see if they can do anything.
Does Portland have a branch of the ASPCA? That would be where I’d start. Call them and see what’s required. Calling the cops might prove useful, too. They can tell you how to go about filing a complaint.

Also, if you can go back to the store and get pictures of the conditions the rats are kept in, it would probably be very helpful. You can never have too much evidence.

sadly I don't know of any state where rats are protected by law.

it might be better to go the social media route....? and post about the conditions, urging ppl to not shop there......?

that's what they did here, they basically boycotted a pet store that didn't care for it's animals and while they didn't go out of business, they did stop carrying live animals. the bad press was bad for business

There's a site that lists doctors by specialty, name & city, ( ratemds.com) and people can post under the doctor's name about their experience with him, good or bad, and the doctors get star-ratings. Makes it SO easy to look up doctors by city, or their name..
There SHOULD be a site just like this that lists 'Pet Store' or 'Breeder' or 'Rescue Group' (maybe even food-from-animal producers) in the Specialty section! Then people could look up any place in any city and see it's rating, or post their experience.
It would sure keep the stores/breeders/rescues on their toes if their star-rating starts dropping, and help people adopt from responsible places.. (any PC-savvy people need a heart-project?)

In the meantime, SqueakingJellybean & Petunia are right, get photos to start, then use social media (which I wouldn't have a clue how to use), maybe a post on your Facebook with pictures & your experience asking people to share if they live in that area? You can start a petition on https://www.thepetitionsite.com/
Or send the photos to the head-office if it's a chain and just Threaten to kick up a ****-storm if they don't improve their care of the critters. (they're rightfully scared of the reach of social media).

With pet stores, the best you can do is start boycotting it and protesting it. Find your animal activist in your town for help. SPCA and the law will not help you with regards to rats. They are a food source. Animals for food have zero value and worth. Sadly.

My mother is a lawyer. Regarding the abuse laws it doesn't have to say anything specific about rats. If the law is that neglect, overcrowding, unhygienic conditions, or underfeeding is illegal for DOMESTICATED animals it doesn't matter if the abused are dogs, cats, birds, reptiles, or rodents. You can report them and legally the police have to at least close the store for an investigation. Even if they don't find enough evidence or more likely don't care enough to prosecute the store owners or the chain the store will still likely go out of business. Having your pet store under investigation for abuse allegations will keep away customers like a barbed wire fence.

I love that, ratgamer16! I bet petstores could find a loophole tho by claiming they're 'feeders' and it's up to the buyer what they choose to do with them, couldn't they?
But still, kicking up a stink gets attention, and if the local newspaper is informed there's an investigation, that serves to draw bad attention to the store and alert people that store isn't treating animals right, and hopefully people will quit shopping there til they treat the critters right!

Even feeder rats have rights under the law, just because they aren't pets doesn't mean they can be mistreated. In fact snakes have been known to get sick from feeder rats kept in stressful, unhygienic conditions. If you looked i'm sure there are plenty of disgruntled snake owners who have complained after getting feeder rats from this store. Unfortunately most people see rats as filthy, pugnacious animals and without ever knowing the wonderful feeling a rat can give you, they are often active in their dislike of these beautiful creatures.

Back