Spinach and lab blocks

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lewil

I have some quick diet questions as a new owner:

What is the verdict on spinach? I've always lumped it in with other greens and figured it's pretty healthy, but I noticed when others have been talking about leafy greens here they haven't mentioned it, and one place said to be cautious with it. Is okay to feed spinach?

Also, a question about lab blocks. I am using Mazuri now since that is what was recommended to me and is the only one available in stores near me, but I'd like to switch to Harlan Teklad since it seems to be more nutritious, highly rated, and not as expensive as Oxbow. I've found it on Amazon, but am a little confused. I've read here that protein shouldn't be over 10%, but both the Harlan Teklad blocks I've found for rats are. One is Envigo (Formerly Harlan) Teklad Global Rat Food Pellets 2018 and the other is Envigo (Formerly Harlan) Teklad Global Rat Food Pellets 2014, which are 18% and 14% protein, respectively.

Is there another Harlan/Envigo Teklad that I am missing, or is this higher protein okay since they have specifically formulated it for rats?

Rats need less then 10% protein (and it is best if it comes from plant sources) but the lowest protein level you can get in rat blocks is 14%.
Oxbow and (Harlan) Teklad 2014 are the two best blocks and the only ones in North America that we recommend. Both can be purchased in bulk.

Re Protein …. rats get fed the rat blocks and a variety of vegs daily (some types must be cook while others can be raw or cooked - see forbidden foods list). Feeding a variety of daily veg will decrease the total protein level they get daily

Rats also get healthy treats such as berries, a piece of ripe fruit, cooked whole grains (such as quinoa, real oatmeal, organic 12 grain hot cereal, etc), organic pumpkin or squash seeds, kumut puffs (they have no additives), etc

spinach is in the "feed with caution" section of the forbidden foods list
(btw rats love broccoli, baby kale, and mixed greens)

For the forbidden foods list and other good info re diet, please see the Reference thread at: https://www.ratshackforum.com/threads/reference-thread-read-only.35894/

Last edited:
I highly recommend Oxbow rat food but the Teklad 2014 is really good too.
As for spinach, I would limit it but mostly because of oxalates which is the same with chard and beet greens. Does it really affect rats? Not sure, but I know in humans it can give us stomach upsets when eating too much.

Thanks so much guys! Just ordered Teklad for the lads. And that makes sense about the spinach!

I feed spinach sparingly as my rats don't like it, but if you have a rat that has had a bleeding episode or issue its a GREAT one to feed. It has both Iron (prevents anemia) and Vitamin K (helps with blood clotting). :)

I feed oxbow, and my rats love it! They also go crazy for cilantro! Among other things obviously, but that's one they go crazy for!

New to this forum :) This thread is so relevant to me right now.

Just wondering .... If spinach is a cautionary food for rats.... why is it an ingredient in the Oxbow Garden Select Adult Rat lab blocks? o_O

Looking for a good lab block to order for my girls and I keep hearing that Oxbow is ideal, but also keep hearing the spinach is not ideal. Confused!

https://www.petshopdirect.com.au/shop/item/oxbow-garden-select-adult-rat-food-113kg

Quote:

The Garden Inspired Ingredients

Whole Yellow Pea - not only a rich, wholesome source of fiber - it contributes important protein, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants as well.

Tomato - Nothing says garden fresh quite like tomato. A delectable source of fiber, essential fatty acids, and antioxidants, tomato is an important feature in all Garden Select varieties.

Spinach, Carrot, & Banana - all contribute to the delectable flavor of Garden Select foods. In addition, these powerful ingredients are rich in vitamins, minerals, and other valuable nutrients.

Ingredients:

Oat Groats, Whole Barley, Soybean Meal, Cane Molasses, Oat Grass, Orchard Grass, White Rice, Whole Yellow Pea, Soybean Oil, Sodium Bentonite, Calcium Carbonate, Flaxseed, Monocalcium Phosphate, Lignin Sulfonate, DL–Methionine, Salt, Magnesium Oxide, Spinach Powder, Tomato Powder, Choline Chloride, Banana Powder, Carrot Powder, Hydrolyzed Yeast, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Mixed Tocopherols (preservative), Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Oxide, Manganous Oxide, Mineral Oil, L-Ascorbyl-2-Monophosphate (Vitamin C), Niacin, Copper Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Biotin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Sodium Selenite, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Vitamin K) , Vitamin B12 Supplement, Calcium Iodate, Cobalt Carbonate, Rosemary Extract

I feed oxbow, and my rats love it! They also go crazy for cilantro! Among other things obviously, but that's one they go crazy for!
Yup, i use Oxbow also, and they love it. The small size is a big hit too. Get mine in 20 lb or 25 lb bags from Amazon for about $40 every 2 months.

The reason spinach is a no no is that it is high in oxalates. Oxalates are the same toxic compound present in rhubarb leaves that can make humans sick (and even die in some some recorded cases). I’ve been avoiding spinach for myself since I learned this, and especially avoiding it for my rats!

So for spinach to actually affect a human... you would need eat over 7 lbs of it. Which nobody ever would. Spinach is actually really really good. Anyone who avoids it for oxalates should also avoid beet greens, Swiss chard, rhubarb, beets, endive, cocoa powder, kale, sweet potatoes, peanuts, turnip greens and I'm sure I'm missing some.
Oxbow is a really great food and I've fed my rats Oxbow for 15 years and my rats were quite healthy.

I feed my rats both of the Oxbow rat foods, the essential adult rat diet and the garden select variety. Only problem I've had with the garden select is they store those larger blocks and tend not to eat them as much as the smaller pieces. I've thought about taking a knife or a pill cutter or whatever to the larger pieces to make them smaller lol.

Back