Spaying - pros and cons

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissGuardian

Thought I´d ask here, since here in Norway you can´t find a lot of facts on this..
I´m considering spaying Nemi.. I´m not breeding her, and I want to reduce the cancer risks as much as I can.. She´s 5,5 months old now.
can anyone tell me the pros and cons of spaying a dog?
Any side effects?
I´ve heard of some getting incontinent, getting lazy/fat and getting fur that is hell to keep clean/dry. Is this something that happens a lot?(particularly the incontinent part and the fur).

Spaying just got legal here(except when medically necessary) a couple of years ago(neutering is still illegal), so all the info I can find are usually either from the ones who are VERY pro spaying, and there are no possible side effects, or from the ones who har very against it, where it´s just cruelty and nothing but side effects..

I have always had all of my cats and dogs spayed and neutered. From personal experience, it does make them calm down a bit because they aren't always on edge and focused on breeding. Aside from that I have noticed no difference in them physically and have never had problems with their fur or potty problems.

Thank you:) I have a suspicion that the issues are very exaggerated(how many experience them).. I'm also planning to ask my vet about it.. i just need to get around to do it :p

She's already looooves food,and would get fat in an instant if I let her, so I don't think there will be a huge difference there..

You should ask your vet if they can do ovariectomies as she's still young enough to do so and it's a less invasive procedure.

Rats shouldn't have issue with incontinence unless the surgeon screws something up. All rats urine mark but I've never had a rat with the issues you described.

victoria said:
You should ask your vet if they can do ovariectomies as she's still young enough to do so and it's a less invasive procedure.

Rats shouldn't have issue with incontinence unless the surgeon screws something up. All rats urine mark but I've never had a rat with the issues you described.
It's a dog, not a rat ;)

Whoops!

It's a lot easier to find a vet to spay a dog than for a rat :) Many many people in North America sterilize their dogs and they do very well, I think the stories you're hearing are fear mongering by people that are afraid of the unknown. They frequently do ovariectomies on dogs in Europe (not sure if it's only certain countries) so you can still ask about that ;)

victoria said:
Whoops!

It's a lot easier to find a vet to spay a dog than for a rat :) Many many people in North America sterilize their dogs and they do very well, I think the stories you're hearing are fear mongering by people that are afraid of the unknown. They frequently do ovariectomies on dogs in Europe (not sure if it's only certain countries) so you can still ask about that ;)
Thanks :) as I said earlier, it's only been legal on females for a couple of years.. Won't the other surfery cost more tho? The regular spay already cost a fortune -around 1500$

Here is a link to more information about the health benefits and potential dangers of having your dog spayed: http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-p ... nge-my-dog

It seems like as long as you get your dog spayed after she reaches physical maturity and keep her on a proper diet with exercise, spaying has much more benefits than not having her spayed.

But WHOA! that is really freakin' expensive!!!

GrayLightNewDay said:
Here is a link to more information about the health benefits and potential dangers of having your dog spayed: http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-p ... nge-my-dog

It seems like as long as you get your dog spayed after she reaches physical maturity and keep her on a proper diet with exercise, spaying has much more benefits than not having her spayed.

But WHOA! that is really freakin' expensive!!!
What do you mean by physical maturity? When she's in heat, or when she's around 2 years?

Thanks for the link and info :)
Yeah it is.. Vets here are really expencive :/ and my parents have offered to pay for it, so I can't go any more up in price..

It's almost a months pay for me to have her spayed, so I really don't want to do it without knowing what i'm getting us into :)

Ovariectomies are less invasive and usually cheaper as a result. Not all vets are experienced enough to do them but I know they are done a lot in some parts of Europe.

victoria said:
Ovariectomies are less invasive and usually cheaper as a result. Not all vets are experienced enough to do them but I know they are done a lot in some parts of Europe.
Thanks! I'll talk to my vet about that too then :) my vet clinic is known to be one of the more advanced in my area(they found out my old dog had Wobblers when no other vet had spotted it for 10 years...), so they might do it :)

MissGuardian said:
What do you mean by physical maturity? When she's in heat, or when she's around 2 years?

It depends on what breed of dog she is. Smaller dogs reach physical maturity at less than a year old, whereas big dogs like Great Danes take a couple of years until they are fully grown. What breed of dog do you have and how old is she now?

GrayLightNewDay said:
MissGuardian said:

It depends on what breed of dog she is. Smaller dogs reach physical maturity at less than a year old, whereas big dogs like Great Danes take a couple of years until they are fully grown. What breed of dog do you have and how old is she now?
She's a welsh springer spaniel, and is 6 months on the 15th.

Back