Sounds during sleep

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Inner ear infection. If you still have the doxy continue to give it along with the drops.

As for the other rat, I will assume she was spayed and then developed PT 1-2 weeks after surgery? There's something about an older rat with a small PT that kicks into high gear growing big and fast after anesthesia. I've seen it a few times and it's very sad.

I am still giving the doxycycline, but I am not so sure whether the antibiotic drops are going to work, because she shakes it off as soon as it touches her outer ear / pinna. Should I keep trying with the drops or try to get Baytril, Synulox or azithromycin to give in combination with the doxycycline? I know a vet clinic that is open on Saturday.

The vet said that her eardrum was not bulging and not ruptured, so she thinks that it is an outer ear infection. Or could the meloxicam that I gave have reduced swelling?

I think that the other rat might have had a pituitary tumor other than a prolactinoma, because I overheard the woman saying that she had multiple rats from the same breeder, that they were all sterilised (on a young age) and almost all of them got pituitary tumors.

Thank you, Bloop.

Maybe it's harder to do right because the vet gave me Soligental drops which are normally eye drops.

I have tried finding videos of rats with a middle / inner ear infection to better know how to recognize it, but I haven't found a good one.

Edit: I have made the next checkup appointment for next Friday instead of Monday next week.

Last edited:
The otitis externa is almost over. Her right pupil was now normal, so it is pretty much certain that it being more constricted than normal was caused by a pituitary tumor. Her right eye also seems to protrude more than her left eye.

I have to continue the Soligental for a few more days, but the vet said that I can stop giving the doxycycline.

Last edited:
I am giving her 25 µg cabergoline SID since the 1st of September.

She recently had otitis media in her right ear and now she had otitis externa in her right ear.

Can an ear infection cause unilateral miosis and an eye to protrude more? (Right eye)

Last edited:
Back