Sounds during sleep

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The sounds increased in frequency and I went to (hopefully a better) vet.

She listened with her stethoscope and thinks that Loesje has a respiratory infection.

This is what she prescribed:

doxycycline 10 mg/ml
0.25 ml BID
Weight: 465 grams

I am considering raising the dosage from 5 mg/kg to 7.5-10 mg/kg. Good idea? I bet that the vet will want to stop the doxycycline next Friday and I want to give it for at least 10-14 days.

I have to come back next week.

Does anyone have a suggestion of what I can mix the doxycycline with to make it more palatable? Is lemonade syrup ok?

Edit: I can only raise the dose from 2.5 mg/lb to 3 mg/lb, because I only got 5 ml...

10/30: She has more porphyrin coming from her nose now and yesterday she had some by her right eye. And the base of her tail seems a bit drier than normal.

Last edited:
I have called the vet clinic, but it didn't work out.

Loesje is now frequently shaking her head as well and scratching inside and behind her left ear. They told me to come back Wednesday if she is still doing it.

But I believe that doxycycline is not particularly effective in the case of an ear infection? Or could these symptoms be caused by the pituitary tumor which she is suspected to have?

In any case: I have managed to get an appointment for an X-ray tomorrow.

Edit: I gave her Novacam and she seems to be feeling better now.

Last edited:
Why are you getting an x-ray? This won't show a pituitary gland tumour.
If she's showing the classic symptoms of confusion, inability to grasp with front paws, excessive bruxxing, head bumping, PT pushback etc then you have to diagnose by symptoms.

I am also very vigilant because before Snoesje got really sick she was shaking her head and scratching inside her ear as well. And it kind of feels like a déjà vu.

Loesje appears to be a lot more active since I gave her Novacam today.

Last edited:
shaking the head is more likely to be an overproduction of wax (itchy ear) or inner ear infection.

Have you posted a video of Loesje here showing her not grasping with front paws with a small light treat?

Then she won't have PT. The grasping ability is one of the first real symptoms people see. The confusion and stiff looking legs, low movement are the first ones.

Sniff her ears for anything foul smelling. If you don't smell anything, try using your finger in her ear canal and start gently rubbing in circles, she'll let you know if she likes it or not. Any overproduction of wax should stick to your fingers from the warmth of them melting the wax. Just wipe it off on a tissue. If she starts grinding her ear on your finger, making funny faces, licking the air, etc, she's enjoying her itchy ears being rubbed.

When I rubbed her ear she started licking my finger and clenched her left paw.

https://streamable.com/pgfybn
Snoesje ate a piece of carrot from the ground when she was sick.

20210801_161447.jpg
20210801_161458.jpg
20210801_161320.jpg
20210801_161321.jpg

Loesje would pick it up to eat it. And Snoesje normally did that as well.

Last edited:
She's lovely. No PT there though :) Eyes are bright, very adept, she looks fantastic.
itchy ears are definitely a big possibility. She's older and maybe not quite as adept at getting those hind claws in her ears to itch them. Keep rubbing and once she stops really enjoying it, then you stop LOL

I just got back from the local vet. Her lungs sound better, but her left ear is more red than her right ear. She told me to continue the doxycycline and come back next week.

I am worried that she could have a middle ear infection, so I am now on my way to the better vet in Utrecht. (Probably best vet for rats in the Netherlands)

Giving meloxicam seems to have reduced the ear scratching, but she is still shaking her head.

I am on the way back home now.

Loesje might have otitis externa in her right ear and I have to give her antibiotic ear drops for a week. Her lungs sounded normal. I have to come back next week.

Someone else had an appointment before me with an 1,5 year old female rat. I heard that this rat had a pituitary tumor and got sick in a very short period of time. She was sterilised and had to be put to sleep.

Last edited:
Back