Sound My Rat Makes

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noel

It's Noel , Rinky's mom, again. Ok this started yesterday. Rinky was out all day in his play space. Nothing unusual happened, but he started making this sound. It sounded like a bird chirping. Now I have had him out all day and he is doing it again. I held him, talked softly to him & pet him for awhile. Does anyone know what he's trying to tell me?

He may be ill and need to see a good vet with the knowledge and experience to treat rats, or at least willing to learn. Rinky likely needs to be put on antibiotics. Rats become ill and die fast so vet care is essential

If you post a video to youtube and then put the link on here, someone may be able to give you feedback

Also, did you get Rinky one or two rattie friends to live with?

Does anyone know what he's trying to tell me?
"They seem like such primitive little creatures, but they may be a whole lot more sophisticated than you think. If you didn’t already know this, rats are one of the most commonly used animals for research because their brain chemistry is so much like that of human beings.

What this means is that these animals are a lot more sophisticated than you may have thought. Their brains are able to help them to process a lot of things, and this is what helps them to be able to do so many different things, including communicate.

If you have not been around rats before, you should know that they communicate much like most other animals do. They make a series of audible noises, just like a dog, cat, monkey, or even a human being.

This may make you wonder what kinds of noises a rat makes. Maybe you wonder do they make chirping noises like some other animals do?

Those are interesting questions, but to answer them it is important not to get hung up on terminology. When most people think of a chirping noise, they immediately associate that with a bird. The truth is that chirp is really nothing more than a high-pitched noise that an animal or insect makes. With that definition in mind, the answer to this is most definitely yes!

There are three primary kinds of sounds that a rat can make. The hiss is used much in the same way that a cat does. When the rat is angry and attempting to display its displeasure, usually at an enemy, it will do so by making a hissing sound.

The squealing that a rat makes is done to warn and when it is afraid. This is similar to the sound that a pig makes when it is in a similar situation. These animals will squeal and so do the rats, but not as long as the pigs do.

That leaves the chattering noise that they make. This sound comes across in many ways, and is very much like a chirping noise. The purpose of it is communication, but can take on many forms. That is, the chirping can convey many different kinds of messages.

The most significant of these is that they are looking to mate. The sounds can let a potential partner know the mating and copulation are on the table and to prepare.

You should also understand that rats live in large groups with one another, so communication is important for them to be able to 'talk' about things that help to make the group run better. They are sophisticated enough to have some kinds of conversation about how to go about making the group run more orderly, and this is conveying through these chirping sounds."

He may be ill and need to see a good vet with the knowledge and experience to treat rats, or at least willing to learn. Rinky likely needs to be put on antibiotics. Rats become ill and die fast so vet care is essential

If you post a video to youtube and then put the link on here, someone may be able to give you feedback

Also, did you get Rinky one or two rattie friends to live with?
Unfortunately not yet, I've been sick.

"They seem like such primitive little creatures, but they may be a whole lot more sophisticated than you think. If you didn’t already know this, rats are one of the most commonly used animals for research because their brain chemistry is so much like that of human beings.

What this means is that these animals are a lot more sophisticated than you may have thought. Their brains are able to help them to process a lot of things, and this is what helps them to be able to do so many different things, including communicate.

If you have not been around rats before, you should know that they communicate much like most other animals do. They make a series of audible noises, just like a dog, cat, monkey, or even a human being.

This may make you wonder what kinds of noises a rat makes. Maybe you wonder do they make chirping noises like some other animals do?

Those are interesting questions, but to answer them it is important not to get hung up on terminology. When most people think of a chirping noise, they immediately associate that with a bird. The truth is that chirp is really nothing more than a high-pitched noise that an animal or insect makes. With that definition in mind, the answer to this is most definitely yes!

There are three primary kinds of sounds that a rat can make. The hiss is used much in the same way that a cat does. When the rat is angry and attempting to display its displeasure, usually at an enemy, it will do so by making a hissing sound.

The squealing that a rat makes is done to warn and when it is afraid. This is similar to the sound that a pig makes when it is in a similar situation. These animals will squeal and so do the rats, but not as long as the pigs do.

That leaves the chattering noise that they make. This sound comes across in many ways, and is very much like a chirping noise. The purpose of it is communication, but can take on many forms. That is, the chirping can convey many different kinds of messages.

The most significant of these is that they are looking to mate. The sounds can let a potential partner know the mating and copulation are on the table and to prepare.

You should also understand that rats live in large groups with one another, so communication is important for them to be able to 'talk' about things that help to make the group run better. They are sophisticated enough to have some kinds of conversation about how to go about making the group run more orderly, and this is conveying through these chirping sounds."

Wow, thank you so much! I just learned a lot from you!
You're welcome! When I posted it, I put quotation marks around it to show it was written by someone other than me but couldn't link to the webpage it was pasted from.

It is possible he is talking to you but clicking sounds like it may be a respitory infection - and they kill fast so hope he see a good vet asap Edit: my error as I thought you wrote clicking ….. chirping sounds may mean that he is ill as well

Last edited:
Rats are normally quiet. They will squeak when scared or hurt. Clicking noise is not good, it usually means a respiratory issue. Chirping has been linked to respiratory issues as well but not always. I've had plenty of rats make the chirping sound but it seems to me it was during grooming.

but clicking sounds like it may be a respitory infection
Clicking noise is not good, it usually means a respiratory issue.
My rats are just like Noel's, they chirp but never click. So they're fine too? Or did you both mean that even though my & Noel's rats don't click, this non-clicky noise is just as likely to be a URI? Because her thread was about only chirping, so I'm trying to figure why we're now talking about clicking.

Sometimes people have observed their rats do a lot of chirping and it coincided with them starting a URI. But I know that with mine, over 15 years and over 300 rats, some have chirped and never go sick. So just something to keep in mind and pay closer attention. But if you do hear clicking or wheezing, then it's time for a vet visit.

My rats are just like Noel's, they chirp but never click. So they're fine too? Or did you both mean that even though my & Noel's rats don't click, this non-clicky noise is just as likely to be a URI? Because her thread was about only chirping, so I'm trying to figure why we're now talking about clicking.

Back