Sore ears?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

Ley

Hi everyone, I have a sweet sweet 10 month old dumbo girl who's been out of sorts lately, but it's nothing I've ever experienced before (have owned rats for 8+ years.) Obviously my first option is the vet, but I'm in the middle of my own health crisis as well as moving and my funds are short.

I took her out for a run around today and I've noticed she's been sleeping a lot more than the other rats. More alarming, only 10 minutes or so into her free run she just laid down. I scooped her up and immediately this time she made a weird, pained chittering sound. She continued to the more I tried to gently look over her, so at first I assumed spine, but massaging it elicited nothing. That's when I touched her neck and she got VERY upset, and essentially shrieked when I very gently pressed near her ears. They're not showing any mucous, they don't smell bad, and she has no signs of head tilt. I'm sort of at a loss here. Any help appreciated

Could be a neck sprain, or wretched muscle if you can't find anything wrong with her ears. First thing to do is give her either meloxicam or infant liquid ibuprofen, as this will help with pain and swelling. The ibuprofen has to be given every 4-6 hrs initially.

I agree with lilspaz. I'd do the pain management and watch for for a few days. A spine injury or neck sprain, pinched nerve will take and a long time to heal.

Back