Somebody anybody please help my female rat she has hemorrhoids or something more serious

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Tynan Mccracken

Her name is Lilith and she's about 2 years old. This all started in November her butt started bleeding pretty bad late one night we initially thought it was an anal prolapse but after cleaning her up and giving her a night of rest everything started to look semi normal the next morning we talked to our vet and they suggested it was hemorrhoids. This has happened all together 4 times now ranging in severity about every 6 to 8 weeks but this most recent time she hasn't bounced back like she had before her anus is closed back up and is looking normal again but her appetite has been off and she's pretty much just been laying around her balance has been off, she hasn't had much of an appetite and she hasn't been drinking much I've put Pedialyte in a bottle and separated her from her sister for the past 24 hours in hopes if it was hemorrhoids that it would give them a chance to heal if anybody's ever seen this before or has any suggestions please anything let me know

First of all you shouldn't EVER separate rats unless absolutely necessary as it can cause depression and make healing go slower. Second of all you say she's off balance ? Can you post a video of that ? (post it to YouTube and link it here) I hope someone with more info will come along and I really hope nothing is too bad for her.. Also what are you feeding her? And (don't quote me here..) I don't think adding things to the water is a good idea because if she doesn't like the taste she may stop drinking causing more problems..

I've known about the depression thing so I've given them time to interact three or four times through that 24 hours they're back together now. I'll try to get a video of her and leave it in another reply until then for example I'll be sitting Criss Cross on my bed and have her with me and she'll jump up on my leg but stumble around as she's doing it. I've been feeding her Kaytee brand Supreme rat food and have been since I got them. I had read somewhere else on the internet that Pedialyte was okay to give them and might help but I also had the same concern of her not liking it so I had also given her a normal water bottle with just plain water in it she had also had access to her normal big water bottle in the cage with her sister when I would give them interaction time

OK. Kaytee is not good for them. Too much junk they don't need, and they will pick through it. Most of us feed oxbow adult rat food. It's super simple food, and not expensive. Then you feed lots of added veggies and some fruits.

As far a hemheroids, I've never heard of that! That's freaky if they get those! I'd be more worried about a tumor of the reproductive tract. Or megacolon.

As for the pedialite, it only stays good for 48 hours once opened, so freeze some so it'll last you. I freeze in small cups, then thaw as needed. But you can also feed foods that have high water content. Cooked sweet potatoes, cooked quinoa, cooked oatmeal. Give her rat blocks soaked in water....

Maybe time to get a second opinion too. If it's hemorrhoids, that would be painful, and she may need pain meds. And to find out what's causing it. Not just let it keep happening....

Hopefully Lilspaz or SQ will comment soon and will be more helpful. Hope she feels better soon!

Alright thanks for the info I'll order them that new food. My biggest problem is finding a vet that will take care of them I live in Northwestern Pennsylvania so it's drive to Erie Buffalo ny State College or Pittsburgh each one of those places is at least 2 hours from where I live but I'll make some calls tomorrow and try and get her in somewhere ASAP

Back