Some advice on my boys housing *update*

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papercrow

I went to the cage for a visit on Saturday night to discover Wubbzy (my favorite) with a huge gash out of his back leg. When I picked him up I found another AWFUL looking wound on the top of his back. I have been keeping an eye on them and they are drying out and healing up without and infectious looking stuff as far as I can tell.

I know exactly who the culprit is (Walden your ears should be burning!) because they do tustle from time to time, but there had never been more than a scratch. They get along just fine sleeping together and the whole bit, but every once and a while they get into it. They have lived together since June.

Here's my question: Should I

A. Take a wait and see approach
B. Neuter Walden
c. Seperate the r695 into top and bottom

We did add a new cage mate, but it's been about three weeks and the intro was very smooth. The baby is about 8 to 10 weeks or so. Piggy is the alpha and never tustles with anyone. Thoughts?????

DSCN5917.jpg

So since June, how many scratches would you say he's had?

If it's way too many to count, then I would recommend a neuter.
I would never recommend separating, unless there's an out right attack to kill.

edited to add: they are soooo cute!

I went through this as my girls (sisters) really do tear each other up to the point I had to seperate them to heal a couple of times. I was taught seperation is the last resort as a permanent solution. Though I worry about finding one attacked lethally, it's a huge comfort to see them sleeping together. Have you witnessed anything positive between the two?

I'd say maybe 4 or 5 scratches, and never anything close to this bad. The only reason I hesitate on the neuter is that we just spent a ton of $$$ on Junior, who didn't make it :(

I'd like to keep the vet fund for any sicknesses that might pop up, but then if it does keep getting worse I might have to use the vet fund for these battle wounds!

Because there was a new addition to the cage, its normal for all rats to tussle to re-establish their rankings. Even old comfy roomies will have it out hoping to keep or move up a spot. If they continue to fight with wounds consider a neuter, but it should settle down once everyone figures out their place.

So things went from bad to worse when the next night I came running to the sound of Wubbzy screaming and Walden had him pinned in the corner and reopened the nasty wound. After I seperated Walden into his own cage he chomped down on my finger and sank his whole bottom teeth in. Those were the last two nails in the goolie coffin.

Walden came home from his neuter today and seems to be doing fine. How long until you think his evil self will start to calm down?

Aww... you did the right thing mom!

Some rats, the change is almost immediate, while others can take up to 3 months but usually, I'd say within 3 weeks.

In the neuters I've seen, you can expect to start seeing some changes within the first week. It can take some rats 3 weeks to get everything out of their system, but generally it's pretty quick.

Back