Socializing Q?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drunkninja

I have 2 young females (about 6 weeks old now) that I have been working with for about 2 weeks now. It seems the only times they ever come out when I'm around is when I coax them with food just outside of wherever they are hiding in their cage. One will sometimes come all the way up to my shoulder, and the other tends to come just enough to where her whole body is out of her hiding spot. I've handled them daily ever since I got them, but they are still extremely fearful anytime I make a movement near their cage (usually when I get up from the couch next to the cage) or put my hand in. I'll pick them up, but they usually struggle to get out of my hand and try to run back to their cage for a while. I can place them on the couch and they'll calm down after a while, but the second I pick them up, they go into panic mode again. Is there anything I can do to get them to understand being picked up and touched isn't so horrible?

Rats like familiar things and are nervous of new things. Guessthey are ok with you but not out of their cage? or out but not picked up? Notice they are ok with just a little more each time? They won't like anything new until they find a reward in it. Just make them do things and even if there's a couple fear-poops they will be more ok with it every time as it gets more familiar and has posed no danger.
You need to take them out of the cage and have them with you every day. Best if you can make it the same general time every day - Kid's Out Time (and they can tell time). So wash the dinner dishes and sit on the couch watching tv with the kids, or lay in bed reading before sleep every night with the kids... Pick what time you most want their company, and they will come to expect and look forward to it..

I like to do the "down the shirt" trick. I do this with almost all my new rats. I put on a tshirt and a sweatshirt on top and put the rats in between. I keep them there for an hour or so and I do this several times a day. This should get them to bond to you and when you go near their cage, they will smell you and run to you.

It can take some time, but keep at it!! I've had rats that took months before they decided I was "acceptable".

Back