Snow Thread

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lol... my garden two hours later....

2009_1219SNOW0016.jpg

we are definately going sleding tomorrow

ryelle said:
lol... my garden two hours later....

2009_1219SNOW0016.jpg

we are definately going sleding tomorrow
lol do you happen to have rats by any chance? just a guess looking at your washing line :giggle:

Even though it is surpose to be summer here, the forcast is snow down to 700m. Nowhere near us but the wind gets cold here if there is snow up on the hills. i just put on the fire to keep the chill out of the house :roll:

Anyone from the northeastern US :stickpoke: ? Huge blizzard on the way and we're expecting 18-24 inches by morning and the boys are due to get neutered at 9am almost an hour away :gaah: The vet's office called to make sure we still wanted to come in and warned me that the vet might not be able to shovel his way out in the morning and if that was the case then he could make an exception and do them on Monday cause he normally only does surgery on sundays...thanks SNOW for screwing with my plans :doh: I'll have to post some pics tomorrow, hopefully it goes right by us :bow:

Up the street
4246483015_0a43b218e0.jpg

Down the street
4246482983_57fc268fc6.jpg

Snowman at the end of the street.
4247256698_e49d6b0415.jpg

My car
4247256794_5a37e15a7d.jpg

We had over 11" by Christmas morning the largest snow fall on Christmas in Kansas City since 1914.

You think we're cold? I couldn't even imagine living here...

From BBC News

In the north-eastern Russian Republic of Sakha (Yakutia), the village of Oymyakon is commonly called the coldest populated place on Earth. Situated in an area of Siberia nicknamed "Stalin's Death Ring" (a former destination for political exiles), Oymyakon boasts an average winter temperature of -45C, with a one-time world record low of -71.2C.

It is home to several hundred people, and until recently a single hotel with no hot water and an outside toilet. While a flurry of snow in Western Europe can cause schools there to close for days, Oymyakon's solitary school shuts only when temperatures fall below -52C (the school has only enjoyed the luxury of an indoor toilet since 2008).

Most homes in Oymyakon still burn coal and wood for heat and enjoy few modern conveniences - mobile phones, even if a service was available in the area, would not work in such extreme cold.

Nothing grows there, a single shop provides the town's provisions and with jobs in short supply most locals resort to reindeer-breeding, hunting and ice-fishing for their livelihoods. Ironically, Oymyakon means "non-freezing water", situated as it is to a nearby hot spring.

'Don't wear glasses'

Oymyakon is a three-day drive away from the nearest population centre, Yakutsk, the capital of Sakha and, perhaps unsurprisingly, the coldest city in the world.

More than 210,000 people live there, despite a constant state of permafrost, and temperatures in the winter which average about -40C.

The city still manages to run, however. It is served by two airports and is home to a university and several schools, theatres and museums. Residents reportedly leave their vehicles running all day and warn visitors against wearing glasses outside, as they will freeze to a person's face.

Yakutsk sits on the western bank of the Lena River, but winters can be so severe that even the river can freeze sufficiently thick to allow traffic to drive straight across to the other side.

I lived without running water a few years. Short answer - you don't use the outhouse to pee at night. Drink a lot of water after you wake up, and all day at school. Don't drink a drop after you get home, and pee before bed :). I was doing that for a year or two before I noticed it.

I'm still not moving there. After a couple weeks at -35 to -40 I start going crazy. I'm not going colder.

Pink

It's finally happened! We got some real snow! 6 inches (those are the fake us measurement, I'm not sure what it really measures out to) and it's still snowing! Not supposed to stop until tonight! Normally I'm not excited about snow cause it's just inconvenient, but work was cancelled! :joy: :dance:

Back