Sneezy Rats

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Spaz1987

Hello. I've had my two rats for almost a month now. They are sneezing quite a bit, sometimes 3 times in a row. I had them on Carefresh bedding but found it to be dusty so I switched to aspen. They are still sneezing. However, they aren't showing any other signs of illness. Eating and drinking is normal, they're still very active, and no excessive porphyrin.

They weather has been strange here. Really hot for a while, then cold a few days, then back to hot. Could they be sneezing to due allergies or the weather? Or is it the beginning of a URI?

I will try to get a video. I never know when they will sneeze. Could be few hours or a few minutes before the next one.

And no, I have no scented items near by. I do open my window to let in some fresh air during the day though.

Can you get us a video so we can hear their sneezing and what type it is? do you have an scented items nearby like air freshners, candles etc?

Ok, this was the best video I could get. The sneeze happens at about 18 seconds. If a better video is needed I can try again.

probably something irritating them ..... scent, dust, etc

but keep a close eye on them and listen to each side of their chests daily, because if they get worse or start to make noises they will need to see a vet asap

but keep a close eye on them and listen to each side of their chests daily, because if they get worse or start to make noises they will need to see a vet asap

I do listen to their chests every day but I am unsure what I'm supposed to be looking for. What do normal rat lungs sound like? They also don't like when I hold them to my ear and struggle after a bit.

That's ok if they struggle, more likely you'll hear bad sounds if there are any. their lungs should sound clear & quiet, no wheezing, crackling, popping, etc....

Hello. I've had my two rats for almost a month now. They are sneezing quite a bit, sometimes 3 times in a row. I had them on Carefresh bedding but found it to be dusty so I switched to aspen. They are still sneezing. However, they aren't showing any other signs of illness. Eating and drinking is normal, they're still very active, and no excessive porphyrin.

They weather has been strange here. Really hot for a while, then cold a few days, then back to hot. Could they be sneezing to due allergies or the weather? Or is it the beginning of a URI?

Hi, I'm new to the rattie world. My rat, Rinky, always sneezes, 3x in a row. I've asked the place I got him from, my vet, and other forums on here if the sneezing is an issue. They all said he was ok.

Back