Sneezing

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jorats

Loving rats since 2002.
I found this great article written by Zoe from Brux N Boggle, she gave me permission to post it here as well.

It’s normal to worry if our rat starts sneezing because we know sneezing can be a sign of respiratory disease.

Sometimes though sneezing is not a sign of serious illness. So how can we tell the difference?

Is this a new rat?

New rats are prone to “new home sneezes” as they get used to their environment. Everything is different and their noses are busier than usual exploring their new home.

This sneezing should settle down after a couple of days once they adjust, however if they were on bad bedding it may take a bit longer as they expel the irritants from their systems.

As long as there are no other signs of illness everything is probably fine but keep an eye on them and watch for any new symptoms that may indicate a respiratory infection.

If the sneezing persists and it remains the only symptom have a look for something specific they are not adjusting to. It could be something obvious, like traces of cigarette smoke, or something less obvious, like a scent you wear. You then need to eliminate it totally and see if the sneezing stops.

If this doesn't work and the sneezing continues, or if you were unable to find anything specific that might be the problem, I’d recommend taking them to the vet for a check-up to be safe, although it could just be they need longer to adjust.

I have read of cases where new home sneezes can last into the second and even third week. Any sneezing that lasts this long I would be wary of so if you choose to 'wait it out' ensure you are extra vigilant and watch the rat carefully for any other signs of illness.

It's also been suggested that some new rats have a tendency to sneeze more when stimulated due to increased histamine levels. If there are patterns to the sneezing, such as the rat will sneeze more when out of the cage, being held, or when running around playing, it’s possible this is the case. Again this should settle down once they adjust to you and their environment.

Not a new rat?

If sneezing is the only symptom and has come on suddenly it could be an allergy or a reaction to something in the environment that’s causing irritation to the respiratory tract.

Have there been any changes to the cage or surroundings? For instance have you recently dusted or used an air freshener? Did you change your perfume or laundry powder or the way you clean the cage? Is the air drier than usual? Are the windows open? Is there pollen about? Is smoke present?

If the rat seems otherwise fine and the sneezing is only occasional keep an eye on things and wait a day. If the rat is still sneezing the following day and there is nothing obvious in the environment that has changed I’d make an appointment to see the vet for a check-up in case it’s the start of a respiratory infection.

What is respiratory disease?

Mycoplasma pulmonis is a bacterium naturally present in the respiratory system of rats.

Stress, illness, old age, genetics or other factors can weaken a rat's immune system. This allows the mycoplasma bacteria to take hold and multiply resulting in a mycoplasma infection or ‘myco flare-up’. This infection in turn makes the rat more susceptible to a secondary bacterial infection. Once a secondary infection has moved in this enables the mycoplasma bacteria to get even more out of control.

The infection can start in the upper respiratory system (nasal passages and ears) and if left untreated advance down to the lungs.

Lower respiratory infections are considerably more serious and must be treated quickly or they could be fatal.

Signs your rat may have a respiratory infection:

Early signs:

Sneezing
Porphyrin around ears and nose
A squeaking, snuffling, grunting, honking, chirping, clicking or 'cooing' sound when breathing
If the inner ear is affected head tilt, face or ear rubbing, rolling
Hiccupping accompanied by chirping, squeaking or whistling sounds

Advanced signs:

Excessive porphyrin, sneezing
A rattling, watery, bubbling or wheezing sound when breathing
Chattering or coughing
Laboured breathing
Head moving from side to side when breathing
Gasping
A rattling vibration felt in the chest when holding the rat

Other signs of illness to look for:

Lethargy
Puffy or dull coat
Hunched posture
Loss of appetite/weight loss
Changes in behavior due to illness, such as biting or avoidance

I think my rat has a respiratory infection. What do I do?

The treatment is a course of antibiotics which you will need to get from your vet.

It is extremely important you seek immediate medical attention. Rats can go downhill very quickly because of their high metabolic rate. In addition the first symptoms of respiratory disease seen in a rat are often caused by a secondary infection, and secondary infections can become serious more quickly than mycoplasma.

The earlier treatment is started the better the prognosis for the rat.

What will the vet do?

The vet should listen to your rat’s chest and lungs with a stethoscope to check if there is any congestion. They should then prescribe antibiotics.

Baytril is the standard antibiotic prescribed for a respiratory infection. Some others are doxycycline (which works well combined with baytril for more advanced/stubborn cases), zithromax, which can be used safely in younger rats and clavamox, which I’ve found to be very effective paired with baytril.

IMPORTANT: If symptoms are spotted early you will most likely be dealing with a URI (upper respiratory infection). If your rat has a URI the lungs will be clear, but this doesn't mean they don’t need treatment.
Please don't let an inexperienced vet send you home without antibiotics because your rat’s lungs are clear and they don’t think it’s sick. You need to treat the rat now, before the infection has a chance to advance to the lungs. For this reason it’s important to understand the difference between a URI (upper respiratory infection – lungs not affected) and a LRI (lower respiratory infection – lungs are affected) so you can explain to your vet if required.

I recommend printing out this drug chart (link below) and familiarising yourself with the dosage of these antibiotics. I would also take it with you to show the vet so they can check their dosages.

Link to drug chart:
http://www.rmca.org/Articles/dchart.htm

Some vets will refer to older text books which use a lower dosage for a shorter period than what is now recommended.

A good course of these antibiotics is minimum 14 to 30 days. If your vet only gives you a 7-10 day course, speak up!

Antibiotics should NOT be put in drinking water. If your vet prescribes antibiotics to be given this way, speak up!

Vets don’t always get it right and its okay to question things and refer them to better information. If they are a good vet they will listen.

Can I treat this at home without going to the vet?

No. To get better your rat must be prescribed a proper course of antibiotics. To do this you must go to the vet.

Can’t I just buy antibiotics from the pet shop?

You may be able to but it’s a waste of money. Any antibiotics you can buy at a pet shop will not help and could make things worse.

Besides the antibiotics is there anything else the vet might give me?

Yes, there are several other medications that can help.

Anti-inflammatory drugs reduce inflammation in the lungs allowing the rat to relax and breathe easier while waiting for the antibiotics to work. They can also speed up recovery because the antibiotic penetration is improved. Either steroid or non-steroid anti-inflammatories can be used. One in particular, dexamethasone, (a steroid) has been found to be particularly effective against mycoplasma induced inflammation and can even reduce the number of mycoplasma organisms.

Bronchodilator drugs widen the air passages of the lungs and ease breathing by relaxing the bronchial smooth muscle.

Mucolytic drugs such as bisolvon soften the mucous making it easier to cough up which in turn improves the antibiotic penetration.

I heard dark chocolate and steaming are good at home treatments. How do they work?

Dark chocolate is often mentioned however it is only useful as a bronchodilator if your rat is in respiratory distress and struggling to breathe. I’ve never used it (I find it hard to imagine a rat in the middle of a gasping attack stopping to eat chocolate) but if your rat will accept the chocolate it should help.

Alternatively exposing your rat to steam can help in this situation. Take them into the bathroom with you, run the shower and let them breathe in the steam for 5-15 minutes. You will need to watch them closely. Some will relax and start to breathe more freely but others may not like it and will get stressed. If your rat is showing any signs of added stress remove them.

What can I do to minimise the chances of my rat getting sick and to help my sick rat get better?

Number one - keep the cage clean! Studies have shown that keeping rats in dirty cages dramatically increases mycoplasma due to the build up of ammonia from their urine.
It sounds simple and it is - always keep the cage clean and well ventilated.

Provide a stress free environment. Don’t crowd them in a cage that’s too small.

Don’t subject them to dust or smoke or drafts.

Use quality bedding and litter and avoid anything that is dusty or contains phenols (such as pine and cedar).

Provide a good quality (low protein, low fat) vitamin rich diet. Research indicates vitamins A, C and E can be particularly beneficial when controlling respiratory disease.

Echinacea can boost the immune system and be helpful as a preventative measure. The Rat & Mouse Gazette suggests a schedule of one week on and two or three off. Dose is one or two drops twice daily of the children’s version which is fruit flavoured and alcohol free.

Keep the room temperature as constant as possible. The recommended temperature range is between 18 – 27 degrees celsius or 65 and 80 degrees fahrenheit.

Don’t expose them to other rats that may be sick.

Try to keep the air moist. This is especially important if you have heaters or air conditioners on. Humidifiers and vaporisers work well or you can just add plants or bowls of water to the room

My rat has symptoms of respiratory disease but could it be something else?

Unfortunately, yes. If you and your vet have gone through all the recommended antibiotic treatments and you are not seeing the expected improvement you need to look at other possibilities.

An x-ray can reveal the presence of any tumours. Case studies of rats who were thought to have respiratory disease but who were then x-rayed revealed tumours on the lungs, thymus and encasing the heart.

The other possibility is the heart. Congestive heart failure, heart murmurs and heart disease can result in fluid around the lungs.

Exceptions:

Occasionally you will find a rat that sneezes frequently who isn’t actually sick.

I have read about such rats and owned one myself. He would sneeze whenever he woke up, multiple times, often for several minutes.

He showed no other symptoms. I took him to the vet on two separate occasions to have him checked out. Both times he got the all clear.

He died earlier this year, peacefully at home, from kidney failure and old age. Even on his last day his breathing was relaxed and even. Despite all that sneezing throughout his life he did not suffer any specific respiratory problems. He was just a sneezer.

If you suspect this may be the case with one of your rats have a vet confirm it.

Do not assume anything or take anything for granted with this disease.

Further Reading:

ratguide.com
Ratbehaviour.org
rmca.org
cavyrescue.co.uk
veterinarypartner.com
suite101.com

Back