Sneezing and antibiotics

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluerose

I have two rats that are sneezing now. One has been doing it for a few days and the other just started. I have done some research and came up that I can give them human amoxicillin in certain doses. I am unsure I can find a vet that sees rats even. I am going to call one that is and hour and a half away but I am not hopeful. I am desperate to save these girls because they have stolen my heart. Please don’t bash me I am a new to being owned by my rattles and learning as fast as I can. If I can’t get these to the vet and I loose them I probably won’t get more as I can’t stand the thoughts of loosing them.

Sneezing is not really that big an issue, any change in environment can cause them to sneeze. But if you are hearing wheezing or eye/nose discharge... I would try to find enrofloxacin which is the best stuff for rats.

Do you have a video so we can hear their sneezing? You will want to hold their sides to your ear so you can listen to their breathing. Any crackles, gurgles, wheezing etc is likely a respiratory infection and will need antibiotics.
What concentration of amoxi do you have?

Back