Sneezer - facial swelling

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dspch911

I cannot believe I have to post about this again! I've had about 48 -72 hours to process it so I'm no longer using X rated language of the previous days.

Sneezer, brother of Newton, has the same damn facial infection starting. No idea what the freakin' heck it is, but we know how Newton's turned out and he survived less than a month. Like Newton, Sneezer has had an off/on eye issue where it often looks like his eye is bleeding. Sunday I noticed the same side of his face was swollen and on Monday it was larger.
He saw the vet on Monday and x-ray showed some abnormality in his sinus cavity, BUT keep in mind his name is Sneezer for a reason so I'm not too worried about that. NO bone damaged or deformity like Newton had - yet.
He has been started on chloramphenicol 0.15 ml (100mg/ml) twice a day, tramadol twice a day, and metacam once a day. We will not put him through all the debridments Newton went through we know its a losing battle. We hope we caught this earlier and the meds will work. The swelling has gone down some, but I'm not going to get my hopes up yet. He also has an abdominal abscess forming - he hasn't had one in about three month!
4a4a716e17a1d8268732b0ea3d6ddab9.jpg

e4f16771cf8de613d963e4e63b0deb0f.jpg

His facial swelling has gone down, but I'm not getting my hopes up. I'm so afraid that the medication will work until it doesn't or until we stop it thinking its cleared up. His tummy abscess is slowly growing though. I managed to clear up the last one without vet assistance, so I'm going to try again. Wait and watch - I'm letting it grow and come to a head - it took a long time the last time.

Back