Slow down tumour growth

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oasisandbambi

Hello. I've a female rat that developed a tumour on her chest. We went to the vet and they said removing it completely wouldn't be possible cuz it is most likely attached to her diaphragma ( Did an X-ray) and it should grow back. Shes over two and has a week respiratory system ( under control atm ) so we decided it would be best not to operate. I was wondering if there are any foods or medication to slow down its growth. Thank you

That's so unfortunate. Most tumours on females are mammary tumours and easily removable by a good vet. It's only attached to mammary tissue. But without surgery, you could try cutting out all sugar. Other than that, there's no much else you can do. Some rats have lived quite a few months with growing tumours, so there's definitely hope.

as Jorats said, cut out foods with added sugar as sugar feeds cancer.
according to the rat guide, moderate caloric restriction might help
Also:
Tamoxifen for malignant estrogen dependent tumors may be a treatment of choice in elderly rats with additional high risk health problems, or where surgery is no longer an option. *Note: Tamoxifen is not effective where hormone independent malignant tumors are present, or where benign tumor growth is due to circulating prolactin.
Where there has been removal of existing benign (adenoma) mammary tumors, a prolactin secretion inhibitor such as cabergoline, bromocriptine, or Melatonin (Sánchez-Barceló et al., 2003) for the prevention of new benign tumor growth may be beneficial.

http://ratguide.com/health/neoplasia/mammary_tumor.php

I am very sorry that this is happening
Spoil her in the time she has left and be prepared to have her humanely put to sleep once the tumour gets too large {{hugs}}

I thought it could be a mamary tumour as well but the vet assured me that it was not :( I did cut out all sugar since I found it on her! She's had this tumour growing for 7 months now! Im very happy with how slow it's growing. Just recently another tumour attached to the first one started growing so the mass all together is getting a little big. Additional question: She's having trouble reaching her privates so I have been cleaning it with a warm towel. Is that okay/ enough or do I need to clean with something else?

as Jorats said, cut out foods with added sugar as sugar feeds cancer.
according to the rat guide, moderate caloric restriction might help
Also:

http://ratguide.com/health/neoplasia/mammary_tumor.php

I am very sorry that this is happening
Spoil her in the time she has left and be prepared to have her humanely put to sleep once the tumour gets too large {{hugs}}
Thank you :) have been having trouble finding a vet that knows how to correctly put a rat to sleep but hopefully will

I'm so sorry you're going through this! Well wishes to you and your girl, even if it feels a little hopeless. Keep your chin up; your girl is obviously very much adored.

A towel dipped in lukewarm water should be fine, just make sure you dry her off afterwards. She may also struggle to groom her rear end just above her tail and possibly her tail itself. If she allows you, feel free to gently wipe those off. I use unscented baby wipes for my boys to help clean off their tails when they struggle to groom those areas. When it comes to their genitals, I use a towel dipped in lukewarm water just make sure no soap or whatever could get up there and cause discomfort.

I'm so sorry you're going through this! Well wishes to you and your girl, even if it feels a little hopeless. Keep your chin up; your girl is obviously very much adored.

A towel dipped in lukewarm water should be fine, just make sure you dry her off afterwards. She may also struggle to groom her rear end just above her tail and possibly her tail itself. If she allows you, feel free to gently wipe those off. I use unscented baby wipes for my boys to help clean off their tails when they struggle to groom those areas. When it comes to their genitals, I use a towel dipped in lukewarm water just make sure no soap or whatever could get up there and cause discomfort.
Thank you so much :)

I have had success with injecting a corticosteroid. It doesn't shrink the tumour but in my girl's case it did very much slow down the growth. This was prescribed by her vet though. Just keep her quality of life in mind!

Back