Slight bloody eye

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jennifer smith

we have two hairless rats. They are about 7 months old. They have been fine until today one rat has a slight tinge of blood to his eye. My daughter is very upset and the vet clinic is closed now. Wondering what we should do?

If your rat hasn't been showing any other behavioral signs of distress it may just be a substance called porphyrin that resembles blood when dried. It can be caused by sickness but most likely stress. If there has been a change in environment that could be the cause. It's nothing to be too worried about unless in copious amounts.

oh thank you for the reply. Ok I did have a problem I ran out of food and couldn’t find the oxbow for 2 days but they are back on oxbow so maybe my accidental 2 day food change stresses him out. He acts normal though. Just suddenly had bad eye. Thanks again I feel better it’s not major.

My rats get allergies in the fall and spring for about two weeks or so and they get porphyrin as well. It is not cause to worry unless it lasts for a while or is accompanied by wheezing.

Please respond to lilspaz68.
She is very experienced with hairless rats.
Hairless rats often have eye problems that need treatment as they have no protection and therefore often get debris in their eyes

we have the care fresh soft bedding. We end up cleaning about every 3 days and changing out hammocks. Washed without any fabric softener.

Templetons eye looks better this morning. He let me clean it real gentle with eye drops on a q tip suggestion from the university biology department. He is acting normal just had a slight blood tinge to his eye and my daughter was crying so I jumped on here for help and really appreciate all the members!!!

with basic lubricating eye drops from the drug store, the best thing to do is have the patient in your lap, with their butt pressed up against your body, then squeeze the bottle so the drops flush over the closed eye, let go and the rat will open their eyes, to glare furiously at you, and the drops get into the eye. If you are just wiping the porphyrin from the eye, you can use a damp cloth or paper towel.

IF that eye starts to squint or look full around the lids compared to the other one, you have a nakie who could have eye issues (often only 1 eye will be "defective") and you might need to change your carefresh to fleece only to prevent the paper from getting stuck under the eyelids. I can dig up a pic if you want to see what I mean by "full" eyelids?

with basic lubricating eye drops from the drug store, the best thing to do is have the patient in your lap, with their butt pressed up against your body, then squeeze the bottle so the drops flush over the closed eye, let go and the rat will open their eyes, to glare furiously at you, and the drops get into the eye. If you are just wiping the porphyrin from the eye, you can use a damp cloth or paper towel.

IF that eye starts to squint or look full around the lids compared to the other one, you have a nakie who could have eye issues (often only 1 eye will be "defective") and you might need to change your carefresh to fleece only to prevent the paper from getting stuck under the eyelids. I can dig up a pic if you want to see what I mean by "full" eyelids?
I tried the hold him for eye drop then used moist q tip to gently wipe the Porphyrin (now that we know it’s not real blood) crusted on his face. This rat always has a squint like sleepy eyed look first thing in the morning but full open eyes in the evening to run around and play. He is the nest building one of the two males playing with the paper and bringing it into the hammock. I won’t wipe it tonight just try one more eye drop.

We can try fleece as the rat laundry isn’t that bad as I wash the hammocks.

I’m very blessed everyone has more knowledge than me haha my PhD is in plants not rats so playing rat dr is new. Thanks again

I’m very blessed everyone has more knowledge than me haha my PhD is in plants not rats so playing rat dr is new. Thanks again

I thought that I was proactive and knowledgeable when I had a cat. I thought I was quite knowledgeable about rats as I had done a lot of research before getting 3 baby rats in 2004. But I was very wrong.

Rat owners need to learn a great deal, be very proactive, research so they are prepared to make suggestions and ask questions when they go to the vet, and advocate on behalf of their pets. Weekly health checks and handling rats twice a day so you will notice any change in behaviour etc as that could indicate illness, are important.
Welcome to your new journey as a "rat doctor"

Last edited:
finally got a picture of his bad eye but it looks so much better.

Attachments

• A928F58F-9E7A-4054-A851-2D97625349B6.jpeg
    A928F58F-9E7A-4054-A851-2D97625349B6.jpeg
    47 KB · Views: 142
Back