Skin sores? Anyone seen this before?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Everyone! I just took my rat out to play and I noticed all of these red sores on her skin all over her shoulders. They were way under her fur so I have just taken notice to it. She hasn't seemed to be scratching herself a ton, so I am not sure that it's self-caused. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)
20201124_173017.jpg

It looks like mites. Check her skin under the fur on the neck,shoulders and head (around the ears too) for little scabs.
You'll need to treat all your rats with Revolution

OMG! If its not mites then its a disease. I was never told what the disease was but he said it was an auto immune disease. One of my past rats had this, you have to take them to the vet because it can be painful. He gave me steroids and metacam. The flare, clears up but it can come back. I had to put my rat on this regimen several times, until it stopped working and it got so worse I had to put her down. I have never seen this in another rat before mine.

My money is on mites. Not a disease. Becca, you may want to get a new, more knowledgeable vet. Ectoparasites – Rat Guide

I guess it could be another skin disorder, but I wouldn't say disease. But I also don't know everything. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ☺️

Becca do you have pics of your girl? If you do start a new thread but there's 2 things that can cause sores like you describe and the most common is a bacterial skin infection which must be treated by antibiotics long term.
This case definitely looks more like mites. I'm going to link an article I created with pics to compare to...

http://lilspazrathospice.blogspot.com/2016/11/whats-on-my-rat-ectoparasites.html

Back