Single rats

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ViciousCurse

While doing some general searching of pet rats, I found this study:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/943795

Basically it details that rats kept alone are more likely to die sooner and become way more stressed than rats who are housed together. I'm not a super fan of this micro-study basically stressing rats to death, but hopefully this micro-study can help teach others the effects of keeping a rat alone.
When purchasing/adopting a new rat, please always get it a buddy, even if you have other pet rats.

*I'm not attacking anyone who keeps a single rat alone for reasons other than medical or social issues. I'm here to make this thread for people who are still on the fence on whether or not they want one rat or two rats.

Thank you for sharing the link.

I have never had a rat that could not be introed to other rats.
(I rescue rats and have owned hundreds of rats. I have also taken in and rehomed hundreds of other rats in the last 14.5 years so I do have a bit of experience)

It can take a neuter, lots of time, hard work and the right combination of rats …… but every rat needs to live with other rats, and in my experience, every rat is capable of living happily with other rats

To sort of build off of my original post and SQ, rats that are deemed aggressive towards others one just need the "right" buddy. I'm not well-versed in any sort of medical condition that may warrant a rat be kept alone, but I would always recommend finding a buddy, even if it means having to get a pair of new babies.

I've intro'd rats as old as 6 months with 1 yr old and 2.5 yr old together. They live happily together right now. It takes a little longer, but it'll work out in the end.

Back