Signs your rats are becoming more comfortable with you? Am I scaring them?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sutekkie

Hi everyone, first time rat parent here and due to a 8+ mo. wait from my local rattery, I decided to take on a pair of brothers that were being rehomed instead. I found out quickly that this would be a challenge as both boys are EXTREMELY skittish. For the first few weeks they wouldn't even come outside if they knew I was around, and would only leave their nest for food and water. If there was ANY light present at all, they would hide. In the first month, they went from that to being comfortable enough to touch my hand with food present, take snacks from me, sniff me, as well as sleeping in their hammock/space pod outside of their nest during the day. I also do not have the lid on the space pod (I broke it lol) so they are a little more "exposed". Even when they take food from me, they grab it very quickly and scamper to a hide to eat their snack. (Although lately theyve been comfortable with eating on their hammock). I hope the new behaviours are because they are becoming more comfortable with their home environment...

That being said, they are still highly sensitive to sound and seem to be still very afraid of me. When I open their cage to refill water and food, they hear the click of the door and run to their nest and hide. Yesterday night I accidentally kicked a plastic bag on my floor while walking and they immediately ran from their hammocks into their nest. During cage cleanings they won't leave their nest either and I have to clean it with the boys still inside. They will occasionally leave the cage to climb on the bars and explore the top of it, even if I'm around, but they have never ventured more than a foot outside even if I'm not in the room. I have tried fencing off a play era with toys and hides and just leaving the cage open and leaving them be, but they still don't leave. I'm just worried that my rats are scared to death of me. I've never made any attempts at petting or picking them up as I think they would be frightened. On the rare occasion where I come into contact with them (accidentally brushing their tails or something) they flinch and sometimes run away. I know I've made a little progress, and this might just the ramblings of a nervous newbie rat parent, but am I doing this whole taming thing wrong or is it just because it hasn't been a long enough time? I just hate the idea of stressing them out while I'm doing the things that must be done and I want to make them comfortable.

Each rat has their own personality. I have two boys and one of them, after around a year, likes to sit next to me on the couch and cuddle, while the other one sits at a corner and contemplated life lmao. One is somewhat antisocial while the other one is more curious and attention driven. Sometimes it takea a long time for them to warm up, but other times they are simply not into it. I think its important to expose them to loud sounds so they can start to get used to them and not freak at every little noise.

Each rat has their own personality. I have two boys and one of them, after around a year, likes to sit next to me on the couch and cuddle, while the other one sits at a corner and contemplated life lmao. One is somewhat antisocial while the other one is more curious and attention driven. Sometimes it takea a long time for them to warm up, but other times they are simply not into it. I think its important to expose them to loud sounds so they can start to get used to them and not freak at every little noise.
Their personalities have actually come out of their shells a little bit since I posted, I found that Twitch is a bit of an escape artist and the more there is to explore for him, the better. He doesn't really tolerate petting but I'll keep working at it to find out if hes just skittish or its just not his vibe to be touched lol :) Nibbles is happy to receive chin scratches and lay around all day and doesn't seem to be spooked much by noise anymore. Thanks for the advice o/

Their personalities have actually come out of their shells a little bit since I posted, I found that Twitch is a bit of an escape artist and the more there is to explore for him, the better. He doesn't really tolerate petting but I'll keep working at it to find out if hes just skittish or its just not his vibe to be touched lol :) Nibbles is happy to receive chin scratches and lay around all day and doesn't seem to be spooked much by noise anymore. Thanks for the advice o/
What might help to get your rat(s) more comfortable with you petting them if feeding them maybe some yogurt or watered down peanut butter on a spoon and lightly stroking/petting them which will help associate you petting your rat(s) to treats and food.

Back