Sigh... boys are driving me mad! Move in day - Today!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopefloats

Not active.
Really lets save 11 boys... because you wont have any issues ever............. LOL they are so lucky i love them to pieces or well nothing really ... I made a promise to them..

Ok so I think I finally thought of a plan.. maybe

I have the group of 12 devil boys

2-10 months old, one is neutered, the intact one is terrified of the boys now since they keep biting him.

6 remaining rex boys that were Fredericks brothers who at this time, I cannot neuter till i can have their tickers checked, just to be safe. most of which are jerks but not to the brothers only the others lol least they have family values.

Romeo he is pretty calm and polite he is not related to any of them.

tweek, chimp and sendai-4 month old boys. I could get them neutered but well I want a break from surgeries for a bit. Sendai is scared since they same monster 6 are biting him too.

I am randomly finding massive teeth marks on the hairless guys the 10 month old included. I found a gash on tweek today so I split up romeo, my two 10 months old and my 3 - 4 months old into one section of the triple fn. I know they are coming from the rex boys.

are you with me this far? :laugh4:
that is my trouble group...

We know I have sebastian in a partial ff cage with his 2 girlfriends. I will be putting it back to a 2 level tomorrow. he is no longer puffy at the sight of other rats so I am thinking about putting the 5 i took out and putting them with them. I will let them live in two parts of the FN. I will take the 6 rex-zillas that i have and move them into the put back together FF cage.

I will have my good old group of 11, my group of remaining 7 from dopeys groups, 6 devil rexes and at some point group of 8 rats, which would be another mixed sex group.

Now I will say, breaking up this 12 is good, they drive me totally nuts during out time, they make me cranky and well they need to be out and not annoying me. honestly it is to many babies for one group it is like turning toddlers loose with sharp knives not a fun time!

I love the idea of smaller groups to deal with since i have having some male issues. The thing that sucks is out time. rotating that many. I am doing it now, i have zero interest in putting my little girls in with edgar and his 800g butt. I wont put them in with the boys because I cannot trust those rex boys. I wont put them with templetons because they are to old for that baby nonsense lol

I could put those 3 with the rex maybe the girls would calm them down? See this is my dilemma.......

I am working on rat proofing the room even more so i can have some more free range but as of now, only my 11 older rats are allowed lol They get the most out time since they can be out when i am sleeping and gone for brief periods.

would it be more beneficial to put the group of 3 (which includes girls) with the 6 rex-zillas or with my 5 who need to be saved at this point?

I demand a diagram along with a family tree with names!!!
I'm so lost with trying to keep track of your group...LOL

You? I made one so I could keep track LOL

I have been staring at this stupid thing since yesterday trying to figure out how to move them around. remember I told you this puzzle wasnt fitting LOL I have been going over attitudes and temperaments since last night..

389803_10150471699786409_634516408_9038172_2027356239_n.jpg

they are paired off by the bonds they have :) some related but not all, romeo is not related to the rex-zilla boys. Nor is sebastian but he was with them hence the arrow LOL

Choxi and pixie are paired but not related,

tweek and chimp are related to pixie :)

choxi and sendai are siblings LOL

hopefloats said:
6 remaining rex boys that were Fredericks brothers who at this time, I cannot neuter till i can have their tickers checked, just to be safe. most of which are jerks but not to the brothers only the others lol least they have family values.
Too little info for so many kids... can't be as simple as putting the 6 rex boys alone together, then trying the others out together without their influence, could it?

First of all, don't worry about separating related rats. Being related in rat world really does not mean anything at all.

So you want to separate a group of 12 evil rats?
You can put at least 5 with Seb and girls?
I would pull out the ones that are more docile. Keep the rough and tough boys together, they might need each other. Weak with rough usually don't work.
Also, nakids will always have scratch marks. If your furries were nakid you would see scratches on them as well. So it's just part of colony living. Unless of course there are deep gashes from straight out attacks.

I have taken groups and split them up, the Gentles and the Punks...have had to do it several times now..once you find their happy place it will be much better for all...just look at personalities, forget relations, but you can also add in affiliations...and that is actually where its the toughest...you got a "meanie" whose bff is a gentle...you can try them in the meanie cage together and see how it goes, etc.

Fidget said:
hopefloats said:

Too little info for so many kids... can't be as simple as putting the 6 rex boys alone together, then trying the others out together without their influence, could it?

Actually Yes it can be. They never fight bad with each other but the newest ones and the older ones who are a bit shy, they fight with. Templeton was fine mostly with my haired rats. I swear he has a hate for my hairless rats. He would only fight my 3 hairless boys. My haired guys in the group were fine.

jorats said:
First of all, don't worry about separating related rats. Being related in rat world really does not mean anything at all.

So you want to separate a group of 12 evil rats?
You can put at least 5 with Seb and girls?
I would pull out the ones that are more docile. Keep the rough and tough boys together, they might need each other. Weak with rough usually don't work.
Also, nakids will always have scratch marks. If your furries were nakid you would see scratches on them as well. So it's just part of colony living. Unless of course there are deep gashes from straight out attacks.

I know family means nothing to them. I just try to keep them all together since some have been together since they were little and they do have a great bond. I know the naked ones will be scratched more I am ok with that. One is getting puncture bites, the other one has that two inch shoulder gash. They are constantly getting larger and I just dont see the point in putting them through that.

lilspaz68 said:
I have taken groups and split them up, the Gentles and the Punks...have had to do it several times now..once you find their happy place it will be much better for all...just look at personalities, forget relations, but you can also add in affiliations...and that is actually where its the toughest...you got a "meanie" whose bff is a gentle...you can try them in the meanie cage together and see how it goes, etc.

I hate doing it because what if it is worse when you move them LOL I spend the time looking at how they are and who they are bonded with. I put way to much thought into it :) Trying to figure out who to move.

Almost 4 hours later I got all the cages cleaned, added the part back on the feisty ferret. Cleaned off the top section of the triple ferret nation which will now be a catch all for my stuff I cannot fit in here :)
396068_10150472431071409_634516408_9041140_134928053_n.jpg

395738_10150472431166409_634516408_9041141_1513037610_n.jpg

I discovered I suck at math. Romeo, Tart, Horatio, Tweek, Chimp and Sendai makes six rats not 5! Originally I was planning on leaving Romeo with the rexzilla boys. I remember his puncture wounds and decided I would take him out with this group.

I also suck at remember how extremely small Pixie is, So my plan to move her to the FN, wont happen till she gets a bit bigger or I can get the mesh on the cage. Which i do have but I am exhausted from all this work.

So the 6 rexzilla boys are living in the two sections of the ferret nation.

While I do intros i have the rest in the Feisty Ferret cage. I am not happy about having the boys up there in a small part but it is only while i do intros and switch them out or till I can get some extra time to put mesh up on the cage. I may get the top part of the Feisty ferret cage and put it on but either way that wont be for a few days. Either way I need to be able to switch cages halves for intros and it wont work by leaving them in the FN section since Pixie can escape. I am leaving them in the FF because I can easily slide the cage out of the room to do intros in another room. once we can be on common ground for out time, I will work on getting something different going.

I will do a test intro on the couch later tonight,.

I think at this point...you ONLY solution is to get Critter Nations!!!

:laugh4: :laugh4: :laugh4: :laugh4:

kscanuck785 said:
I think at this point...you ONLY solution is to get Critter Nations!!!

:laugh4: :laugh4: :laugh4: :laugh4:

Nope I am going to tell Pixie how beautiful she is over and over, her head will swell up, problem solved.

I wont own a critter nation because I do not like my rats climbing on bars and Isis broke her leg bad in a cage with bars like that so I will only have the bars like ferret nations. I wont encourage them to be monkeys. If i wanted monkeys, i would own them :)

Livyaahh said:
wow your rat room looks INCREDIBLE! All I've got is a furat and a savic freddy :( I'm so jealous!

I bet it is 1. cheaper 2. less headaches 3. less time cleaning :) This takes ALOT of work every day.

hopefloats said:
Livyaahh said:
wow your rat room looks INCREDIBLE! All I've got is a furat and a savic freddy :( I'm so jealous!

I bet it is 1. cheaper 2. less headaches 3. less time cleaning :) This takes ALOT of work every day.
true, though I still hope my rat room looks like that some day

I just realized that all along I've been asking you to tell me your colonies and there they are in your signature. Lol
There's just something about cage pics that always gets me excited. lol

jorats said:
I just realized that all along I've been asking you to tell me your colonies and there they are in your signature. Lol
There's just something about cage pics that always gets me excited. lol

That is why I broke down and finally put the names with cage groups.. I acutually just did it so you are on track lol I figured it would be easier for others to know who I am talking about since I am needy lol

I avoided putting their names in for months since there are so many lol but once dopey paassed I decided since I had to move him to my passed away rats that I would add the others.

So I updated my signature again, note 4.A and 4.B LoL one day they will be one.

I put them on the floor tonight, brave soul. Pixie was not a fan, It was very brief. Pixie did not like being chased around so she found sitting on my head to be a better option. I was on the floor playing cage blocker and she stayed up there. I spent most of the time watching them run around chase the girls they didnt notice sebastian at all. tomorrow we will do the table, that is a lot easier :)

that is why it only lasted about a minute LOL I just didnt have intro's in me, but i wanted to see what i was gonna have LOL

How on earth can you keep track of those groups? Kudos to you, goodness knows I have a headache just trying to keep them straight. P.S. you're rat room really is amazing.

temblabamomo said:
How on earth can you keep track of those groups? Kudos to you, goodness knows I have a headache just trying to keep them straight. P.S. you're rat room really is amazing.

It is a lot easier now that I have a rat room. Before we would count rats often to see if they escapsed the table we had :) they slowly grew so mentally keeping track of who is where is easy. My kid asks me how many does this group have since they change number wise with deaths or forced moves lol. I would love to get them all in one group and be able to have them come out of cages freely meaning taking the two doors off they cage but I am not sure if I can pull that off or not. Introducing 33 rats on neutral ground is hard but I have ideas lol

Back