Sick rat

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phoenix.madley

My rat is on 0.2 ml of Baytril and 4kg of loxicom for respiritory problem. once a day. I have been giving it on a prawn cracker as it absorbs the meds. Yet i was reading online that most give it twice a day. I haven't but how long until it works. The vet said they didn't want to give my rat a shot again, as last time the Baytril burn was awful. The respiratory issue went away but it came back 2 months later. If the baytril doesn't work what can i ask the vet to try as i don't want my rattie to go through another shot again

Baytril is given orally, twice a day.
If it does not help then baytril + azithromycin (10 mg/Ib) orally twice a day is a good combo

When antibiotics are helping rats stay on them for at least 4 weeks, but I find my rats need to stay on them for 6 weeks.

If you want someone such as lilspaz68 to check the dose,
We would need to know:
- the weight of your rat,
- the strength of each medication (mg/ml)
- and the amount of each medication you are giving (ml) and how often

Baytril CAN be given twice a day,but you have to double the twice daily dose do you have an approximate weight of your rat and the mg/ml or % of your baytril?

I'm not sure of my rats weight but it's 2.0ml I was told once a day. I'm. Sorry to day Artan rat passed away 🤧 its just cauis and me now

I'm so sorry. :(
Since i got him last November he was 12 weeks old....and was around 44 weeks old when he just passed :( Caius my remaining rat is around 32 weeks old. Artan always had respiratory problems as soon as i got him from the pet shop 2 days in he had issues. I was cross at pets at home. I paid considerable money to keep him well. He then developed pneumonia. I noticed him jumping and struggling to breathe. I rushed him to the vest around 3 months ago and they gave hin oxygen and an injection. He was fine after that. And finished a course of medication. Including some for the ulcer the injection caused. About a week ago he started to sound iffy again for his respiratory breathing. And i took hom to the vet and they gave medications. on monday 10 Aug i came home from a night shift, and cleaned their cage. And went to bed around 10:30 a.m 1:15p.m i got up to get some lunch and heard this sound coming from the cage he was struggling. I called the vet and said it was an emergency. and i called a taxi to take me. By then he started to go limp. Caius my other rat looked distressed and was running around Artan and licking him. I knew he was dying. By the time i had gotten to the vets i knew he was gone. This was my Artan. He was chilled and he gaveme kisses and liked being cuddled. Caius my black rat is more skittish..but loves coming out for treats. I cant replace Artan but i must find caius a companion
artan.jpg

My caius...
Since i got him last November he was 12 weeks old....and was around 44 weeks old when he just passed :( Caius my remaining rat is around 32 weeks old. Artan always had respiratory problems as soon as i got him from the pet shop 2 days in he had issues. I was cross at pets at home. I paid considerable money to keep him well. He then developed pneumonia. I noticed him jumping and struggling to breathe. I rushed him to the vest around 3 months ago and they gave hin oxygen and an injection. He was fine after that. And finished a course of medication. Including some for the ulcer the injection caused. About a week ago he started to sound iffy again for his respiratory breathing. And i took hom to the vet and they gave medications. on monday 10 Aug i came home from a night shift, and cleaned their cage. And went to bed around 10:30 a.m 1:15p.m i got up to get some lunch and heard this sound coming from the cage he was struggling. I called the vet and said it was an emergency. and i called a taxi to take me. By then he started to go limp. Caius my other rat looked distressed and was running around Artan and licking him. I knew he was dying. By the time i had gotten to the vets i knew he was gone. This was my Artan the black and white rat....He was chilled and he gave me kisses and liked being cuddled. Caius my black rat is more skittish..but loves coming out for treats. I cant replace Artan but i must find caius a companion

Attachments

• 104080273_3691048417578911_2054028348053879895_o.jpg
    104080273_3691048417578911_2054028348053879895_o.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 129
  • artan.jpg
    artan.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 269
  • bestbuddies.jpg
    bestbuddies.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 272
What a sweet boy.
Thank you for sharing your pictures and memories of such a sweet boy
Artan sounds like a wonderful little boy and you and Caius must be heartbroken
I am so very sorry {{HUGS}}

BTW there is info on doing intros to new rats in our Reference Thread REFERENCE Thread - Read Only

Back