Sick rat

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

samcfc

Hi,

Last Thursday we took our rat Florence (11 months) to the vet because we initially thought she was choking. The vet couldn't find anything stuck and instead gave her some antibiotics and nose drops as they thought her nose was blocked and she was struggling to breathe.

However over the next few days she seemed to get progressively worse. She wasn't eating or drinking and was in a really bad way. We watched her closely and she couldn't hold her food in her hands, she was wandering aimlessly around the cage and couldn't really climb down and would slide instead. I did some research and from what I read, she was showing all of the symptoms of having a pituitary tumor. So we took her back to the vet and didn't really say anything new so we mentioned the possibility of it being a tumor. They said it's very unlikely because of her age but they could do a CT scan the next day. We weren't really satisfied and so took her to another vet we have been to in the past. He seemed to think that she had an infection and so injected her with fluids, gave her pain killers, a steroid and baytril. He also did an X ray and said that he couldn't see any shadow that would indicate a tumor, and again pointed out how it is unlikely because of her age. He also recommended against doing a CT scan because of how weak she was and that we should treat her for an infection otherwise she might die.

We took her back this morning and he said she seemed a little better and gave us antibiotics (Ursocyclin) to be injected once a day and then some bacteria to use in a few days to build up bacteria in her stomach.

She is still not really eating much - have to pretty much force her to, and we are giving her glucose water with a syringe. She still looks a little lost when she is in her cage and she is also really chewing on her lava ledge which she has never done before the past few days.

I feel a little helpless and just wanted to out this out there in case anyone had any ideas. The vet really didn't think it was a tumor because of her age and said that she seemed to feel pain when he pressed on her stomach rather than on her head. Does anyone have any similar experiences especially with such a young rat?

Thanks a lot.

I am not a vet but it sounds like the steroid and antibiotics were helping
Antibiotics + a steroid, orally, twice a day ….. is the treatment for inner ear infections, and neurological issues including pt

She is young for pt
If she does have pt , in addition to the antibiotics + steroid (perdnisone or dex), if the rattie has the most common type of pt then cabergoline is also given (only way to tell is to give it and see if it helps)

Lilspaz68 may know more

Here is a link that may be helpful. This is a vet approved medical site for rat owners http://ratguide.com/health/neoplasia/pituitary_tumor.php

Last edited:
Can you post a video (post it to youtube and then put the link on here)
I am not familiar with that antibiotic, but one of the listed side effects is a decreased appetite

Will she lick food off your finger?

If you are not already doing so, try feeding her soft foods as they will be easier for her to eat and will help to keep her hydrated
you can grind up her rat blocks and soak them in cool water to make mush,
and/or feed organic soy infant formula (or kitten milk replacer etc) thickened with baby cereal - both of these will provide the nutrition she needs

treats/extras at this time would be baby food, ripe avocado (not the parts near the skin or near the pit), cooked sweet potato, cooked squash etc

She will eat a little to begin with but quickly refuses to eat anymore. So I just keep trying every once in a while. I'm giving her avocado because of how little she is eating. I think I might have to try feeding her with a syringe soon

I have to agree with the 2nd vet, PT is something progressive but rarely shows up before 15 months or later.

Inner ear infection can cause discomfort, dizziness where a rat will sprawl flat and crawl around on her belly because she's so dizzy. They also won't be able to sit up and grasp food. Has she fallen over or does she have a head tilt at all?

The video can really help us with this.

Here's a video of Florence I took last night when I put her back in her cage. I'm not sure if it helps at all. She is just very slow, it looks like she doesn't particularly know where she is and she has never chewed on anything in her cage before to this extent.

She still wouldn't really eat or drink much. And she usually has the biggest appetite.

I can try again later to get another video. Thanks for all your help.

Back