Sick rat pulling away from cagemates

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

KiwiSamara

My girl, Oreo is about a year and 3 months old. Her sister died of a respiratory issue early January. Since then I have gotten two more rats so Oreo wouldn't be lonely. The rats got along and have been living in the cage together for a month now. Oreo had signs of a respiratory infection so I took her to the vet. Its very early on so shes on some medication. She doesn't cuddle with the new ratties anymore though and instead sits on the otherside of the cage. Is she trying to stop them from getting sick or just being a grumpy old lady?

Are the new rats bouncy and annoying? If she's not feeling well then I can understand not hanging with them. How bad is her respiratory infection and what antibiotics are you giving?

The babies do jump on her a lot. The respitory infection is still early on so she only has porphoryn and sneezes. Im pretty sure it's enrofloxacin shes on. Its been a few days since she went to the vet and she seems to be a bit more friendly towards the babies.

Oh good. Yeah that's why she's staying away from them initially. Who wants babies bouncing on them then??
It takes 4-5 days to show a visible improvement so she's on her way :)

Back