Sick rat, breathing won't get better

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emillyt20

My rat got a lower respiratory tract infection, he is being treated with antibiotics for more than a month and yesterday he took an injection wich was supposed to substitute the last doses (since having to give it to him orally was stressing him). But since yesterday his breathing is gotten worse, he is gasping and having to make a lot of effort to breathe. One time it even looked like he stopped breathing. My vet is saying we should wait to see if he gets better, but he doesn't seem to. What do you guys think I should do? Is there anything more I could do?

What antibiotics is he on, and what dose. He may need them tweaked a bit to get the combo that'll work. Usually baytril and azithromysin is the go to. Or baytril and doxy. How old is he? You said he's been on them a month? You should see improvement pretty quick, like in days if it's working. Then he'll need to stay on them for at least 4-6 weeks, with 6 weeks being best, especially being this bad off. You can also take a video, post it on YouTube, and post the link on here. That way we can better see what's going on. Message lilspaz68 and have her read this thread. She can better help you. I hope your baby feels better soon!

Back