Sick little man

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Capitalgirl

Hello, I am a new rat owner of a 25 most old Male. He has been a healthy guy most of the time. Treated for lice from the previous home and one resp infection. Has been losing some weight, I thought it was because he was a senior but a few days ago he stopped eating and drinking. He runs up like he wants to do both then turns his head away. So went to vet. Nothing conclusive. Lungs clear (had xray) she thought teeth looked fine no wheezing, no lumps felt. So got pain meds Metacam and Oxbow critical care ( feeding with syringe) and water. He doesn't want any of it. His stool is awful. Mucousy blobs. Can't get back to get for a couple of days. Should I force pain meds or let him be.

Welcome to the forum ! :)

My rats hate Metacam, so when they need it, I have to give it to them against their will by syringe.
Info on Metacam http://ratguide.com/meds/nsaids/meloxicam.php

For signs of pain in rats please see the reference thread: https://www.ratshackforum.com/threads/reference-thread-read-only.35894/

It is important that he stay hydrated and get the nutrition he needs
I have not heard of oxbow critical care before
but if he will not eat it you could try organic soy infant formula thickened with baby cereal
- he might take that from a shallow dish, lick it off your finger, or take it by syringe (one drop at a time into the side of his mouth so it does not go into his lungs)
my rats like it, and it is one of the things I feed to ill or elderly rats who are having difficulty eating

I wonder if some nondairy probiotics might help ….

Please post some videos and pictures (post videos to youtube and then put the link on here)
Is he able to hold food in his front paws?
Any changes in his behaviour?

Last edited:
He can hold food in his front paws, then drops it. He is not eating any of his favourite things. He is spending alot of time just laying around. His poop is still slimy. We are going to keep syringe feeding him for a few more days. Then back to the vet. We just can't figure out what it is. We threw out all the nuts, seeds we had in case they were bad. His cagemate is fine. Very weird. He must have some internal issue, cancer? But no tumors were detected in xray. He is not wobbly just weak. We will keep at it. Thanks for your help! :)

I guess anything is possible? Poop is now orangey slimy stringy like consistency. Not runny watery but stringy almost gooey. Poor guy. We need to get him back to the vet. They are closed today. I think it may be time to put him down. Just keeping him hydrated. He is losing too much weight. He is sleeping now. I feel so sad for him.

I'm sad to say we had to put JB down today. He had started dragging his back legs and was so thin and still not eating anything. Our vet was very kind and made the experience as best as they could. He's not in any pain any longer. Thanks for all your help.

Back