Sick boy

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello I have just come back from the vets with my rat who was having trouble breathing and lice. They have treated the lice and put him on antibiotics and anti inflammatory I’m struggling to get him to eat something and wondering if anyone had any tips he’s still drinking water just want to try and give him some food
Thanks

what antibiotics did they give you? Did they give you meloxicam as the anti-inflammatory?
For food you need to start with soft liquidy food he can lick up and breathe between licks.

They gave me for sulfatrim antibiotics and meloxicam for anti inflammatory he’s managed to nibble on some food and he’s had some water he’s still having moments of gasping when he’s breathing and then it will calm down again but I know the antibiotics may take a while to start working he gets antibiotics twice a day and anti inflammatory once a day

I think the gasping is called flank breathing and that’s the reason we took him to the vets do you know anyway I can make him more comfortable while the antibiotics are working as he’s breathing quite heavily at the moment
Thanks

Back