The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratatat16

Hello everyone, one of my boys Basil is pretty sick with a respiratory infection and unfortunately I cannot afford to take him to the vet. I got three rats in January and have already had to pay for two of them to be treated for respiratory infections already. I clean their cage all the time and have an air purifier in my room to try and keep them healthy but I think my smallest guy just has a weak immune system. I’m looking for any advice on what I can do for my poor boy. He’s severely congested and sometimes sounds as though he is having trouble breathing from the congestion.

If all three are about the same size, try calling the clinic you took your other rats to, let them know you dont have money for a visit and see if they will give you anitbiotics based on the other two's weights.

Try calling around seeing if you can make payments.

Apply for CareCredit, it is a medical line of credit which you can use for you and your family, as well as your pets.

Rats in general are extremely prone to upper respiratory infection. If you can already hear that your rat is having issues breathing, it is pretty bad. They get pneumonia really easily from having upper respiratory infections. Are you seperating him from the other two? It is very likly they will get sick as well if you still have them together. Many clinics will assist you in signing up for a line of credit to help pay the bill, or even try calling around to see if one will take payments. My boyfriend and I took in a rescue rat who had pneumonia, you do not want to see your little guy go though that. It is absolutely terrible. We took him to emergency vet and they pumped him full of medication for both the infection and pain before putting him into an oxygen chamber, but unfortunatley he did not make it. That cost about $850, which is a lot of money, I know.

If you can not get him the medicine he needs, he will suffer horribly. Having him put down (as sad as it is, it is better than sufficating) should be less than $100.

Hi there! So, there’s this DIY antibiotic hack that I’ve used for YEARS. You can find a tutorial on YouTube about how to measure it out and for dosage. Get fish mox, (you can get it from your local pet store or online) and mix that with some kind of flavoring to give to your pets as an antibiotic. The dosage is really little, so be super careful, but just google fish mox antibiotics for rats and a video should pop up telling you how to do it. Anytime my rats have had a respiratory issue, this has cleared it right up. Hope this helps :)

Hi there! So, there’s this DIY antibiotic hack that I’ve used for YEARS. You can find a tutorial on YouTube about how to measure it out and for dosage. Get fish mox, (you can get it from your local pet store or online) and mix that with some kind of flavoring to give to your pets as an antibiotic. The dosage is really little, so be super careful, but just google fish mox antibiotics for rats and a video should pop up telling you how to do it. Anytime my rats have had a respiratory issue, this has cleared it right up. Hope this helps :)
Do not get fishmox, wrong antibiotic

You can get Enrofloxicin and Doxycycline from Jedds.com. But you need to get it asap. I didn't read your post (sorry) but i can tell you that home treating is as good as going to a vet for the meds. Providing theres no complications

If all three are about the same size, try calling the clinic you took your other rats to, let them know you dont have money for a visit and see if they will give you anitbiotics based on the other two's weights.

Try calling around seeing if you can make payments.

Apply for CareCredit, it is a medical line of credit which you can use for you and your family, as well as your pets.

Rats in general are extremely prone to upper respiratory infection. If you can already hear that your rat is having issues breathing, it is pretty bad. They get pneumonia really easily from having upper respiratory infections. Are you seperating him from the other two? It is very likly they will get sick as well if you still have them together. Many clinics will assist you in signing up for a line of credit to help pay the bill, or even try calling around to see if one will take payments. My boyfriend and I took in a rescue rat who had pneumonia, you do not want to see your little guy go though that. It is absolutely terrible. We took him to emergency vet and they pumped him full of medication for both the infection and pain before putting him into an oxygen chamber, but unfortunatley he did not make it. That cost about $850, which is a lot of money, I know.

If you can not get him the medicine he needs, he will suffer horribly. Having him put down (as sad as it is, it is better than sufficating) should be less than $100.
Yes, once youve had a rat seen by a vet, they CAN prescribe again for THAT rat, just tell them its the same rat.

Screenshot_20220405-104458.png

Hello everyone, one of my boys Basil is pretty sick with a respiratory infection and unfortunately I cannot afford to take him to the vet. I got three rats in January and have already had to pay for two of them to be treated for respiratory infections already. I clean their cage all the time and have an air purifier in my room to try and keep them healthy but I think my smallest guy just has a weak immune system. I’m looking for any advice on what I can do for my poor boy. He’s severely congested and sometimes sounds as though he is having trouble breathing from the congestion.
How's your boy Basil? Hope he's okay now.

Back