Show your cage

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HPIM2169.jpg

HPIM2189.jpg

HPIM2138.jpg

:joy: Wow, great! There are really a couple of wonderful cages! :bow:
Wish I had some of them :gaah:

I noticed too late that there's a cage thread, I've already posted my cages in another thread:
http://www.jorats.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4677
There you can see all the cages I ever had (and you can see improvement :) )

My old cage:
haltung_kaefigschrank.jpg
haltung_kaefigschrank2.jpg

My new cage called Unidom:
haltung_kaefig_unidom.jpg
haltung_kaefig_unidom3.jpg

My new aviary:
haltung_kaefig_voli2.jpg

:)

its been great reading about all the different cage set ups everyone has had or is currently using. so to jump on the band wagon so to speak, here is what i've had over the 5 years of being owned by rats.

franken-cages. i've had a few of them in my time owning rats. some much better then others.

cage002.jpg

cage001.jpg

this was my first cage. i'm sorry to say i didn't know much about rats back then and there wasn't much i could do with this cage toy wise. the heights of the cages didn't allow for hammocks or wheels. inside was pretty much a lot of empty space with some blankets to cuddle in and of course a food bowl and water bottle. there was a rock under the water bottle as well.

nests.jpg

nurserycages01.jpg

these are nursery cages i had rigged up when a got a couple pet store surprises. they are tanks put on their sides with a door made for it and a tray. i have one in use now that has a couple placemats lining the bottom with a cushion and a couple food dishes and water bottle, its Rosie's cafeteria cage right now. but it has been used to hold babies too small for any of the other cages and very sick rats that i was worried about drafts and need highly restricted movement.

prelimnaryboyscage.jpg

another franken-cage in the making. i never took pictures of the finished product. it had pretty much the same problems as the other franken-cage but did allow a hut and one hammock where i was able to use larger bird cages in couple of places.

jan04-06.jpg

this is two hagen chinchilla cages put together so i guess you can call it a franken-cage as well.
in it is:
wheel
food crock that attaches to the side
water bottle
some hammocks of various styles and sizes
ropes toys/parrot perches
a lava perch
a hut
the floors were not yet covered by the time the picture was taken.
i loved these cages because they are so versitile. i was able to switch things around a lot. this also started me on the monster.

03april2007-1.jpg

here is the beast, not quite the monster yet. all three cages connect, there is a hole in the middle of the pan that allows for the rat's access.
in it:
litter pans
corner ferret litter pans attached to the side to act as levels
lots of different hammocks
wheel
chinchilla flower act as hut and level
hamster balls act as hut
rope toys/parrot perches
lava perch
water bottle
food crock
dryer hose
hut
the level without the tray is covered in sticky back lino tiles
organizing baskets acting as levels
lots of blankets to line huts and levels

04may2007.jpg

05may2007-1.jpg

06may2007-2.jpg

this is the monster. i only had it in operation for a little over a week as cleaning it was hazardous to my health. i was not able to secure it very well and it would wobble when i tried to clean it on top of a wobbly step ladder to begin with. i was also able to LOSE my rat INSIDE it as i wasn't able to get a good look in some places without the wobbly step ladder.
in it is everything as was in the three story model, beast, but more of it.
also included here that was not in beast:
ferret ball
hanging pot
hanging ornament 3 in 1 pot
again, all four cages are connected so rats can move freely through out and the levels without the tray are covered in sticky back lino tiles

after the monster i dropped back down to the beast but rearranged it so the tray was the floor to the second level instead of the third. it made cleaning much easier. the arrangement of the toys varied a lot but contained mostly everything that the monster had but rotated, except for the ferret ball as it took up too much room and was mostly ignored.

there were of course problems with the chinchilla cage, floor depth was certainly wanting. but the rats could still teleport up and down the cage. it really all depended on the way you tried rigging some of the toys. some methods worked better then others so it was a lot of trial and error. they would have jump and climb and they seemed to like it. it really helped when i attached another on top as of course that left more room. i don't miss cleaning them though. i much prefer my litter pans and fabric over having to line the entire bottom tray in litter. i still have 3 and will use them as hospital cages now that i upgraded though.

i retired the beast model in favor of the cat cage. i do not have pictures of its current set up available but will post them when i get them. there are more toys and the liners (made by javakittie) attach by snap hooks instead of velcro like the ones pictured. also, the top level is now a hammock instead. the dimensions are 4 feet high, by 2 feet deep and 3 feet wide. it can fit 14 rats and will soon be home to 12 once magic comes home, recovers from his neuter and intros are over.
PictureorVideo010.jpg

PictureorVideo057.jpg

there is now a corner litter pan under the wheel too. the rats decided that they wanted one there too and were very stubborn about it so i gave in.
PictureorVideo018.jpg

sweetipie enjoying her hamster ball hidey. this cage now has 2 very well loved little hamster ball hidey-best 50 cents i ever spent!
PictureorVideo056.jpg

PictureorVideo055.jpg

ink by the door looking for a way out and into mischeif with sweetipie egging her on and eyes in the hut wondering what all the flashes is about.
PictureorVideo058.jpg

PictureorVideo059.jpg

PictureorVideo060.jpg

ink making a break for it! ink: "haha! i'm out! now where's that cat...." (she likes chasing the cat around the house....she has yet to figure out what to do with them when she catches them but she enjoys the chase :giggle: )

not pictured is the living world starter home cage which i use as a hospital cage. it changes its set up depending on the need of sick rat anyway.

I just bought this cage, and will be setting it up this week. We're taking in some from the rat train, so we had to buy a new bigger cage. I'm a little paranoid, though, about the width of the bars. For those of you that have this cage, have you had any escapees??

Jennw said:
I just bought this cage, and will be setting it up this week. We're taking in some from the rat train, so we had to buy a new bigger cage. I'm a little paranoid, though, about the width of the bars. For those of you that have this cage, have you had any escapees??

That SuperPet cage is fine for large adult females which is what you are adopting. Not good for babies and smaller rats, but I think you are just fine in this case :D

Welcome Jenn :wave:

Shelagh

I had that cage before my FN. It held in my smaller girls pretty well. I just hated cleaning it. The shelves were no problem wiping down it was getting in the cage to clean it through those little doors. Other wise I loved it! Actually I am using it for my Clark girls. Its all setup right now i will have to get pics!

Oh and guys I love these cages they are so awesome!

---edit---

Here are pics of the cage for the Clark girls. :D

Side View:
hollysa90020004.jpg

Bottom View:
hollysa90020003.jpg

Top View:
hollysa90020002.jpg

Full Front View:
hollysa90020001.jpg

I just re-did the boys' cage using some of the ideas in this thread! They don't know what to do with themselves now, LOL.

Back