Show your cage

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
whahaha if you two live in there, there will be no space for ratties! :lol:

If i were a rattie, i would have the time of my live in that cage. ;)

Nice cages all... Godmother n Jo? Is there room for me in there? I we can share a hammock? And I swear I'll use the litter box!!! hehehe hey roomies!!!.... that means SOA's our landlord! hahah

Wow, some incredible rat palaces here :)

This is my Critter 3, home to three does (pic shows my old girl Ruby, who was pts recently :( )
IMG_3376-1.jpg

And my Marchioro Tom, now home to four bucks and a little cramped; I'm planning to upgrade to an XL in the new year *dances*
IMG_3546.jpg

Old pictures of my moster martins RUDD, foot print is 30 in x 30 in.
(plus temporary/guest "room" chin cage)

Rattiesinthekitchen.jpg

top section:
Newcagefronttoplevel240X179.jpg

middle section:
Newcagefrontmiddlelevel240X179.jpg

bottom section:
Newcagefrontbottomlevel240X179.jpg

Will try to get some better pics.

Everybody here has such big and colourfull cages. Love it!! :D
@ SQ; what kinda tubes have you haning in there? Love the colours 8)

They are vegetable parchment tubes for small animals ... they look like cardboard.
I cable tie them to the sides of the cage.
The ratties love to lay in them and to tear out pieces to build nests.

My oh my. After seeing all these awesome setups (which I will not be showing to my rats) I'm starting to feel sorry for my rats. They have this simple little cage for the three of them, with two houses, this little balance thing, a bowl and a water bottle. No hammocks or nothing. This is definately an issue now. I am going to have to get some hammocks for them, and some toys.
I do have a question for some of you though, how is it that your rats don't pee and poop everywhere, the cages seem relatively clean. I figure you can litter train a rat, but how hard is it?

Whipple

Whipple, we clean them! :p I spot clean (putting raisins in the litter boxes, straightening things) at least once a day. All of my rats are at least partially litter box trained.

Rats need lots of toys, hammocks, cage accessories, and tons of room to run around! They are highly intelligent creatures and need a stimulating environment :D

What kinda of cage do your rats have? And how many fuzzlets are in it?

I attached my super pet cage to the top of another cage which was given to me as it didn't have a bottom.
New home for Joy, Hope, Faith and Grace.
They have been playing on the couch together for several days without incident so hopefully this next step will go well ...

Jan10twocagestogether.jpg

How they are connected:
Jan10hookedtogether.jpg

Need to add a few more items and fill those water bottles ...

Whipple said:
My oh my. After seeing all these awesome setups (which I will not be showing to my rats) I'm starting to feel sorry for my rats. They have this simple little cage for the three of them, with two houses, this little balance thing, a bowl and a water bottle. No hammocks or nothing. This is definately an issue now. I am going to have to get some hammocks for them, and some toys.
I do have a question for some of you though, how is it that your rats don't pee and poop everywhere, the cages seem relatively clean. I figure you can litter train a rat, but how hard is it?

Whipple
I only take photo's right after cleaning the cage! LOL
My rats know that they should do it on the toilet, and some of them do, but others still like to pee and poop on the shelves... blegh. Ah well, thats why they have me right? to clean up the mess for them. :p
and yeah you should give the little ratties hammocks. Here they cant live without! :) Thats like the ultimate place to lounge... :mrgreen:

Well currently my rats are in a small little cage, which is only meant for two rats. I just found this out. Frankly having been a bit ignorant, but now I'm looking at a ferret cage for sale near me. It's big enough for 6 rats, but not too huge for me. That'll be good for mine. I need to get a second either way.
I'd be ashamed to post a pic of my cage. It's not even close to yours, but I'm gonna be fixing it up. When I got rats the first time I had no idea and put him in an aquarium. It was a big one, but at the very least it was hard for me to get at him. The petstore people really don't know much eh?
Anyhow, I'm going to make a few hammocks at least and add a couple of tubes. Then I might think of taking a pic.

Whipple

We all have to start somewhere! Believe me, I didn't go on a big shopping spree recently or something, all of my stuff has just accumulated over the years to where I have more than I know what to do with. Thankfully, my best friend runs Michigan's only rat rescue, so I always donate a bunch of stuff to her :)

P.S. - never, ever listen to pet store employees. They're highly unreliable and really aren't trained at all in the care of the animals that the store sells, besides the (mostly incorrect) basics. I hate pet stores :p

Hehe, my cage collection and supplies just keeps growing too. :) The only thing I'm short on is hammocks, but I have more igloos, houses and litter pans than I know what to do with :lol: The only good thing - is that a lot of the supplies will be useful for whatever pets I have, so it's not a waste having extra and I don't feel bad buying more, lol.

Ok so Shelly gets Chelsey's hammocks, I'll take Shelley's extra igloos and I have absolutely TONS of little bowls that are great for food and water. I can go months without doing rat dishes if I want to, and I change out their bowls regularly.

:D

Here is my super pet cage. Not very well decorated when I took the pic. Hopefully I will get a ferret nation once I have enough money though.

DSCF2235.jpg

It is home to my two girls Jazz and Milly.

Back