Should I spay girls with chronic uri

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oasisandbambi

Hello everyone. So ive been thinking about spaying my girls in order to prevent tumors and other health issues. Both my girls have had respiratory problems since I got them nd have been on medication for almost 3 months now and will continue to be (baytril/doxy and previously loxicom). Ive already made an appointment and explained the vet the situation, she said the risk would be higher cuz their not 100% healthy but that it can be done. Im very worried tho. I really want to get them spayed. They both came from a pet shop where people usually buy rats as feeders. I believe that they have really poor genetics and im almost certain that they will get tumors. If I dont spay them now and they get tumors they will have to undergo surgery anyway one day. I hear some whistling when one of them breathes and that comes and goes, the other one makes little noises when she breaths that I can only hear if shes really close to my ears, this also comes and goes. They seem to be breathing fine, they play a lot, eat and drink. They will get spayed within 3 days so I got them to a local vet that told me their lungs were clean. But im still a little worried that this is the right thing to do. Thoughts?

you might want to try baytril + azithromycin (10 mg/Ib, orally, twice a day for 6 weeks) or baytril + doxy + azithromycin …. I get azithromycin from the human pharmacy by prescription from my vet and see if that helps clear up the breathing problem before you try surgery

Make sure you use a good vet with the experience and knowledge to safely spay …… if only gas & oxygen mix is used, then they should be able to bring them out of it fast if there is a problem but safer to do if their breathing is ok

you might want to try baytril + azithromycin (10 mg/Ib, orally, twice a day for 6 weeks) or baytril + doxy + azithromycin …. I get azithromycin from the human pharmacy by prescription from my vet and see if that helps clear up the breathing problem before you try surgery

Make sure you use a good vet with the experience and knowledge to safely spay …… if only gas & oxygen mix is used, then they should be able to bring them out of it fast if there is a problem but safer to do if their breathing is ok
Im driving one hour something to get to a good vet since my local ones can not preform this. She seemed to know what she was talking about.
Their breathing seems to be okay, just a little noise now and then but their lungs are clear. Should I really try that and then go? I really wanted to get them spayed before 4 months, which I think they still are. Also im on intership now so I dont have a schedule that allows me to give them medication twice a day, so I only give them the meds at night once a day, not sure how that would work out with azithromycin? And yes I think thats what they use, since she told they would be controlling it as it goes. I think ill be contacting her today again and ask her what she thinks again. Thank you for your answer!

Last edited:
If they do not currently have breathing problems then I assume they should be ok for surgery, but if you have a good vet, the vet should be able to give you good advice

I understand about traveling for spays ….. I took a 3 day trip in June to get 9 girls spayed and one boy neutered

Good luck with whatever you decide

If they do not currently have breathing problems then I assume they should be ok for surgery, but if you have a good vet, the vet should be able to give you good advice

I understand about traveling for spays ….. I took a 3 day trip in June to get 9 girls spayed and one boy neutered

Good luck with whatever you decide
They always breath fine in the morning, which is when they are gonna get surgery done, at night sometimes I listen to little whistles and some other minor sounds more when they get exited, but it looks really minor. My local vet already told me that their lungs are clean but ill ask the other vet if they can listen to their lungs and breathing before surgery. Im still waiting for her to call me to day so that I can have her opinion on this, she seems to be very qualified, at least I hope.

Wow thats a lot! And I was worried about a 1h40 train ride lol im just afraid that they will get super stressed and not eat or drink before surgery. Ill take a lot of yumi food with me and try to feed them. Thank you so much for answering. I think ill give it a trytry. Hopefully everything will be okay!

I would definitely listen to the advice and the other people on here with more experience successfully treating URIs, but one of my old rats was making a lot of noise when he was breathing, and I took him to the vet for her to tell me that his lungs sounded fine. I was so confused because how could his lungs possibly be clear when he made so much sound when breathing, but she told me that our ears are sometimes too sensitive and we can hear the breathing nosies more strongly than they actually are. Now, I would definitely take this advice with a grain of salt because she wasn't the greatest vet, but if your vet tells you that their lungs sound clear it's a good sign.
I think it sounds safe for you to go ahead and get them spayed now, but you may want to order a stethoscope on Amazon for the future so you can listen to your lungs at night when their breathing sounds are worse.

I would definitely listen to the advice and the other people on here with more experience successfully treating URIs, but one of my old rats was making a lot of noise when he was breathing, and I took him to the vet for her to tell me that his lungs sounded fine. I was so confused because how could his lungs possibly be clear when he made so much sound when breathing, but she told me that our ears are sometimes too sensitive and we can hear the breathing nosies more strongly than they actually are. Now, I would definitely take this advice with a grain of salt because she wasn't the greatest vet, but if your vet tells you that their lungs sound clear it's a good sign.
I think it sounds safe for you to go ahead and get them spayed now, but you may want to order a stethoscope on Amazon for the future so you can listen to your lungs at night when their breathing sounds are worse.
Thank you! Also thats a great idea, if you ordered one before do you happen to have the link?

Its probable the noises are more nasal congestion than lung involvement. Which means the lungs ARE clear.

Oh thanks! Is there any way to get rid of nasal congestion? I mean, it comes and goes. Maybe also cuz the weather here as been unstable. Or Could it be allergies ?

I’m hoping that this link works for you because I checked and you’re not in Canada, but hopefully you’ll be able to find it for a decent price around you. I have a Prestige one so I can vouch for the brand, but Littman is a very good brand if you can find one cheaper for whatever reason, but they tend to be quite expensive. If you can find either on Amazon, look at all of the colours because for me the purple was cheapest, but a different may be cheaper for you.
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B001CTCGDM/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Back