Should I put my rat to sleep

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oasisandbambi

Hello, one of my rats ( 2 yr old ) had a stroke and lost a lot of mobility. He had the stroke a couple months ago so I don't think he will be recovering anymore. He can't walk, he just flops around and drags himself. He will eventually get places but it takes him a huge amount of effort. This is a rat who was always speeding, jumping and climbing everything. I used to joke that he was on crack all the time cuz he was just crazy, so it has been heartbreaking seeing him like this. The only reason I have been keeping him around is because he loves food. It makes me feel like he can still enjoy something. He really likes eating and snuggling with his bother and sister. I see him trying to move around and grooming the others too. So I guess he's still got some will to live? And this is why I'm so torn between having him put to sleep or not. It would be nice to have some outside perspective. Thank you in advance

Hmmm. It's always tough but if you can still give him a good quality of life and help him around and he still grooming and snuggling with his mates then I wouldn't, but that's me. I'd make everything easier for him and design things for him that will enable him to be close to his mates and access things. People who have strokes can regain some things and they're still able to enjoy. I always think with the framework of rats and family. He's got his friends. They love him, he loves them. Keep a close eye on him is what I'd do.

I just went through this 2 weeks ago. My rat, skittle, had a stroke, and seemed to be somewhat OK for a bit. Then about a month later, he seemed to go sharply down hill. He would still eat and drink if I held him up to do so. But then he got to where he was too weak to even chew. The day I decided it was time (he still enjoyed cuddling me and his brother) I had found him in the morning. He had drug himself to the bars of his cage, and was furiously biting them, trying to get my attention. When I picked him up, he was extremely floppy, and I could just feel his want for living leave him. I talked to him, held him and explained that I would help hi. Feel better. I asked him if he needed me to help him across the bridge, and he started boggling at me. I felt like that was him answering my question. You'll just know when it's time..... Seriously, talk to him, and let him know what you are thinking. It's like they really understand, and will answer you. It was two weeks ago today I said goodbye to him. We both enjoyed every last second with each other. Just enjoy it while you can. My heart goes out to you!

Hmmm. It's always tough but if you can still give him a good quality of life and help him around and he still grooming and snuggling with his mates then I wouldn't, but that's me. I'd make everything easier for him and design things for him that will enable him to be close to his mates and access things. People who have strokes can regain some things and they're still able to enjoy. I always think with the framework of rats and family. He's got his friends. They love him, he loves them. Keep a close eye on him is what I'd do.
Thank you so much for your reply ❤️

I just went through this 2 weeks ago. My rat, skittle, had a stroke, and seemed to be somewhat OK for a bit. Then about a month later, he seemed to go sharply down hill. He would still eat and drink if I held him up to do so. But then he got to where he was too weak to even chew. The day I decided it was time (he still enjoyed cuddling me and his brother) I had found him in the morning. He had drug himself to the bars of his cage, and was furiously biting them, trying to get my attention. When I picked him up, he was extremely floppy, and I could just feel his want for living leave him. I talked to him, held him and explained that I would help hi. Feel better. I asked him if he needed me to help him across the bridge, and he started boggling at me. I felt like that was him answering my question. You'll just know when it's time..... Seriously, talk to him, and let him know what you are thinking. It's like they really understand, and will answer you. It was two weeks ago today I said goodbye to him. We both enjoyed every last second with each other. Just enjoy it while you can. My heart goes out to you!
I'm so sorry you had to go through that with your boy ! Your story made me tear up a bit. Thank you so much for your reply ❤️

You mention it's heartbreaking for you, but don't mention him showing signs of depression? As long as he's not getting painful skin issues sitting in pee or dragging himself around, and you can help him get out of his cage for adventures, and he's got loving cagemates and he's loving his food, then it's just his new normal. I'm 63, I remember the 'good old days' but can't do what I did then, I'm ok with that. If I had a loving caretaker & maid like he does I'd be good with even less than I have now 😊

You mention it's heartbreaking for you, but don't mention him showing signs of depression? As long as he's not getting painful skin issues sitting in pee or dragging himself around, and you can help him get out of his cage for adventures, and he's got loving cagemates and he's loving his food, then it's just his new normal. I'm 63, I remember the 'good old days' but can't do what I did then, I'm ok with that. If I had a loving caretaker & maid like he does I'd be good with even less than I have now 😊
I've got a spinal disability since I was 28 and I'm now 51 and I have many bad days where it's hard to do certain things. I have homecare once a week too. I can't imagine if our society thought we had to end our lives b/c we need extra help. Also, my heart rat bit my home care nurse. She was very understanding lady and I think she sorta knew she invaded Big Schpog's very protected territory.

She put her hand in Big Schpog's chest of drawers, which Schpog was VERY territorial over. Also, she had foreign smells on her hands from dealing with other people and hand sanitizers, gloves etc.

Big Schpog bit her finger really really hard. It bled like crazy. She was really cool about it though seeing as she could've made a real problem for me to get homecare. She could've reported it and I might've lost my homecare.

Back