Should I Intervene? (Guinea Pig)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheHermit

My landlord has gone on vacation for two weeks and has left her guinea pig with me and my BF. At first I was really excited because the only guinea pigs I've looked after were at PetSmart, so my interaction with them was kinda limited.

First thing is her cage is way too small. It's too small even for a single rat. I would say it's a good size for a nursing cage for a female rat, but that would be all I can compare it to. Definitely a hamster mansion but NOT a guinea pig cage! As far as I know, she's been in it for 5 years.

When I got the cage all it had was half-soiled bedding, a water bottle and a dirty food dish. At least it had food in it. I was surprised when she gave me a heart of lettuce and a small baggy of sugar peas for her.

For two weeks I was given these supplies: a nearly empty bag of food, a bag of bedding with enough for 1 full cage change, a nearly full bag of timothy hay (with NO evidence of hay in the cage, so god knows when the last time she got some was... it doesn't smell fresh) and the veggies.

Half her nails are completely curled over, they're so long. She's overweight. She bites. She hasn't wheeked once in the last two days I've had her, not for the rustling of a timmy bag or the opening of a veggie drawer. I know she's nervous and confused, and older, but not even for timothy hay?

If this were anyone else's guinea pig, I wouldn't hesitate to have a good long sit-down with them. But this is my landlord and I live in her house. I don't want to make this an uncomfortable situation for anyone, especially my boyfriend, who already hates living in A) a basement; B) the landlords house.

What can I do? I've already sent an email to her asking if I can trim her nails. I also gave her a clean hiding house (before I knew about my present rat issues)... she loves it, she won't leave it - she bops her head to move it to the food dish or the water bottle. It would be so cute if it didn't make me sad.

Should I approach her about the cage? I have a bigger one in my closet I could give her, and let her keep the hiding house. I could even offer to trim her nails sometimes while I'm living here. But I also feel like it's her responsibility, so SHE needs to fix it. Not me. And we're not buddies either, we rarely see each other than when she dropped off the guinea pig and odd times in the driveway. She's spanish, young and not interested in light conversation. I have no idea how to approach her about this.

But this lil piggy doesn't get a choice either way.

At what point do you make the choice to intervene?

Just do it and don't bother asking. If she hasn't made any positive changes in the pig's 5-year life with her, she's not going to any time soon. Do what you feel comfortable doing, and if she wants more she'll ask. Don't throw the old cage away, though, just in case.

I'm glad you care enough to help the little lady. She is the one who will benefit the most. Take this opportunity to spoil her! :)
Be diplomatic and sympathetic when talking to her owner and hopefully she will respond in a positive manner.

You have to remember that most pet stores sell those cages as acceptable which my our standards they wouldnt be. I would give her the cage and tell her that it is more fitting for her and she seems to love it. Just tell her you are not using it anymore and she can have it.

Wow that is a tricky situation but 4 me it would be simple cause see I love my guinea pigs so anyone who was not taking care of them the same way I do with the same love 4 them I would just come right out and say it nicely of course but yeah you should just calmly talk to her about it and tell her all your concerns she might not know about the cage or anything and just simply be relived that you told her :love11: GOOD LUCK AND SENDING POSITIVE VIBES YOUR WAY HOPE THE PIGGIE GETS TREATED BETTER.

You have to remember that most pet stores sell those cages as acceptable which my our standards they wouldnt be. I would give her the cage and tell her that it is more fitting for her and she seems to love it. Just tell her you are not using it anymore and she can have it.

I know, one of the (many) reasons I left PetSmart was people coming in who just bought an animal at a mall kiosk (WHY IS THAT LEGAL?!?!) and want to buy supplies, but don't believe my advice. Like, I'm sorry you were told the toonie sized turtle would live forever in a 10 gallon tank but that will brutally kill it over time. Oh, you don't believe it's supposed to grow to be dinner-plate sized? That's fine, just remember you're forcing it to be disfigured and die of organ failure :D

Sorry, off topic rant...

Unfortunately I looked in my closet today totally prepared to move her over, and the cage isn't there. In my busy mind I thought I brought my purple guinea pig cage with me to move the boys to the new apartment, but it was the smaller blue cage that's the same size as the cage she already has. I would ask my mom to drive over the purple cage but she's not as compassionate as I am, I can already hear her saying "You want to give away a cage? Oh, honey, that's really not blah blah blah blah and it's not even your animal blah blah blah blah..."

I'm giving her the hiding house and some wood chew blocks at least. I've also already offered in an email to let me know when her nails are long again and that I'll do them (with the intention of showing her how). Other than that, I am going to keep checking craigslist and kijiji for free cages in my immediate area. I live in the middle of a big suburb, there's gotta be something in the next two weeks!

What a sad situation. I second the plot of saying that your landlord is buying the cage from you.
Honestly it sounds like she doesn't really want a pet to care for anyway... I wouldn't be shocked if she "forgot" to pick it up when she comes home

Those kinds of conditions are not acceptable for a guinea pig. They are delicate creatures. My sister took in a rescue a few months ago, from a similar environment. The fact that she doesn't seem to get hay is already very serious. They should have unlimited access to hay. They need it to keep their digestive system moving along. They need vitamin C, because they can't make any of their own. These are too serious to let slide. But, this is your landlord. You can't exactly afford to get on bad terms with her. So, maybe frame it as a gentle suggestion? Mention that you know someone with a guinea pig, and she used to be kept about the same, but she became much more active and friendly after some changes. Make it sound like something interesting you learned that might help her situation? Hopefully, she's willing to see reason.

You could always tell your mom she is buying the cage from you.

I hadn't thought of that, and my mum has to come and pick up my laptop anyway so my father can do maintenance! I've shot off the text.

Motiti (Motita? Anyone know Spanish for "little ball of fur"?) seems to have settled in better. She comes out of the hut to see what I bring her instead of hiding, and she 'talks' more. It's very sweet, I kind of like an animal that vocalizes how it feels.
Edit:
Make it sound like something interesting you learned that might help her situation? Hopefully, she's willing to see reason.

I've mentioned that I used to work at PetSmart a few times already. I plan to approach it like, "Guinea pigs are generally happier with a little more space and I noticed there wasn't hay in her cage when you gave her to me - she gets some every day, right?" Hopefully I can remember how to put on my educator attitude like I did at the store. It worked in convincing people to get more than they originally thought they needed in-store, I've just never had to use it outside of the store. In-store it was my job and responsibility to the animals, out here I'm shy. I don't like confrontation :(

Last edited:
Hey hermit
A crazy story that does suck my lill bro has a guinea pig and in the beginning we had him in a starter cage cause she was a baby and then we bought her a pen so much happier.

Some people just honestly don't know any better. I knew nothing about a guinea pig and had no idea they liked to be with other pigs or liked opened enclosures ect.

I would just try mentioning that you noticed she was "Out" of hay, and that you took the liberty of giving her some. See what her reaction is. Then go from there. She might say oh "yeah i dont bother with that", in which case i know your heart will drop but then it gives an opening for you to educate her about the importance of a hay diet or she might say "oh I didnt know they needed hay" another opening. As for a bigger cage yes I think you should switch them and mention to her that you happened to have an old cage that was bigger and thought it would be nice for the piggy to have more running room, so she can popcorn and forage and that they generally do need more room to be happy. As for the nails, my parents also neer noticed her nails until i came home to visit, and inspected her and showed them how to cut them. They were horrified that they left them so long.
So give her the benefit of the doubt that shes just a bit clueless as to what the pets real needs are.

I have had some amazing encounters at pet smart I have to say. We shamefully got our brothers pig from there it was unexpected my sister just wanted to hold one to see if she was allergic to them. Shes allergic to her bunny but would never give her up lol but mimi (the pig) was so adorable we couldnt leave her, but they did informe me that I needed a big cage or a pen for her to live happily we did end up buying one at walmart. I guess allot of people just think they're trying to up sell them.

Anyways I hope it goes well let us know how the "Talk" goes.

GDLK :)

Back