Should i get my rat a friend, knowing the risks?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueLightning4300

Hello! I'm new to the forum, and well, rat owning in general. 6 months ago i bought a male rat, I did my fair share of research, but at the time i decided i only needed one.
But now, I'm considering buying him a friend, So he can live a happier life and will not be lonely while i'm not around. I did a bit of research, and decided that i could buy him a male friend. After going to the pet store, the employee told me he was a breeder, and very much disagreed with getting a second rat, for the possibility of them killing each other. Or me having to separate them to different cages, forever.
I'm only a highschooler, and i don't have a major interest in spending another $100 for a tank and cage top for another rat if things don't work out. But i've read that alot of rats will get along after a while. So, should i buy another rat or only stick with one? Would it be possible to get him neutered and get a female? Or vice versa? Or buying him a male friend?

To wrap up:
Only 1 Cage
Only 1 Rat
Can't afford another cage
Should i get him a friend?

You should never put a stranger rat in your current's rats cage without proper introductions. You would need a second cage as a temporary home for your new rat until it is safe for your two rats to live together. Introductions can take weeks, but it's all worth it in the end when your rat is happy to have a buddy.

It is highly important that you get your rat a friend though. Rats are NEVER happy alone. You can neuter him and get him a female, or you can get another male.
First, you need to make sure that your cage is big enough. You said it's a tank topper? Cages are better for ventilation. It needs a base of at least 18"X30" to house a pair of rats, with heights for levels and hammocks.

To answer your question, YES you should get him a friend, absolutely.
But, you need a proper sized cage and a temporary spare cage for the new rat.
If you can't afford a good-sized cage, then you would be better off finding your rat a home where he could have friends and a large cage, for his own good.

When I got my first rat my roommates didn't want me having more than one, so I had just the single female for six months. I realized very quickly that I had made a huge mistake. Anytime I didn't have her out of the cage, she would literally sit and stare at me from the cage, holding on to the bars with begging eyes. It made me feel like a terrible person. I got her a friend, and with proper introductions (and then adding two more girls to the mix), she still loves coming out of her cage, but she also loves spending time in the cage with her sisters. My rats are always happy because they have each other. If I talk to anyone about owning rats, I tell them that if they cannot have two, they should not have any. I know this from experience, thinking I would be enough company for my rat. Nothing can make up for the company of another rat.

Actually, right now I have one of my rats in a separate cage (and separate cities at the moment) because she is supposed to be on bed rest. I can tell that she is sad about being away from her sisters!

Rats need to live with at least 1 other rat. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDy3bMRu ... re=related
There are established gradual intro steps to use to intro unfamiliar rats so that no one is hurt.
Therefore, a second cage is necessary until the rats have been introed as this does take time.

You can intro 2 male rats, a male with two babies (10 to 12 weeks old), or a male with one or more girls if either the girls are spayed or the boy has been neutered (at least 3 weeks previous to the intros).
Spaying has many health benefits.
many find it easier to intro an adult male with one or two spayed girls.

As for cages ... a rat cage for 1 or 2 rats needs to be at least 4 cubic feet in size with a base of at least 30 inches by 18 inches and height with levels.

Back