Should I get my grieving rat a new cage mate?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mybeautifulboys

Mikey recently lost his cagemate Lou about 12 days ago after a battle with a PT. he took it hard refusing to come out of the cage and eat as much as he used to, the first couple of days he didn’t move around the cage a lot. he is doing it a bit more now but not as much as he used to. He seems to stay in hides rather than out in the open. He has not wanted to come out for couch time as he has not come out when I have called him or waited by the door like he used to. As I was told to get him out anyway I have been, I put him on the couch every night in his cube and give him his favourite treats. for the first few days he only ate a tiny bit, now he’s eating most of it but every time he has ate he wanted to go straight back in the cage. He is a shy and skittish rat anyway but more so than usual slowly retrieving to each hide before he gets close enough to the cage to run inside. He has slowed down quite a bit, he is eating less and stays in his hammock most of the time but I guess that’s not surprising, but my question here is should I get him a friend because I don’t know what is best for him. My mom thinks I should wait and see but is leaning more on not getting more as she thinks he might not have long himself (he is over 2 for definite but could be 3 or even 4 as the person I rescued him from said he had him for over 2 years and I’ve had him for 2 years myself) that is also worrying me cause I don’t know how long he has left so is there point getting more and will he want more cause he’s so old now? He’s quite timid and shy so would he get on with another rat? I have only been getting him out once a day as he is not used to more and gets quite stressed easily so should I get him out more or stick to what I’m doing? In terms of spending time with him I’m not spending a long time with him well not any less that I did when his brother was here. They are in my lounge with the door open most of the time so they can hear all sorts of noises in the background which is usually quite noisy due to 3 dogs but non of my family go in the room and watch tv as we thought it stressed them out I did try to introduce it to them a while ago very slowly but I was so busy I ended up forgetting to do that so they’ve ended up being in there with just background noise should I start putting the tv on even though it could stress him out or not? I’m really struggling to find what’s best for him do I get him a friend? do I get him out the cage more often even though he doesn’t like it Or do I stick to what I’m doing? I’m sorry if this makes no sense I just want what’s best for my beautiful boy :(

Last edited:
I think it's really beautiful and loving of you to look out for your boy like this. A friend may help him perk up some, but I find that elderly rats have a harder time accepting new company since they're not as mobile such as your boy, though that's only if I'm not misreading with mention of the little man moving less. On one hand he might appreciate a friend to snuggle up with at night, but it's hard to say without giving it a shot. My only other suggestion is to keep up with your current routine, and if you do introduce a newcomer, it's best to aim for a ratty that is between 6 months and a year. A bouncy baby rat will likely just irritate him since they're so playful.

Hi, I'm sorry for your loss of Lou..
Are you prepared to do intros? It can sometimes be difficult and take time & patience with boys. If you adopted a boy for Mikey you'd need a 2nd good-sized cage to keep him in while you work on intros; no guarantee they'd work out so you could end up with 2 single boys, a lifetime commitment to the new guy, and probably be looking for a friend for him...
Something you could try - if you have rescue groups where you live, contact them and see if they have a lone boy, or even a pair of boys. Most rescues need foster homes. If they have someone who might be suitable for your Mikey, ask if you could foster. You'd be helping the rescue, that rattie(s) would likely come in a cage you could use, and if Mikey doesn't take to him/them then you don't have a lifetime commitment to him/them (tho it would be proper tho to foster him/them until they find a permanent home).
Whether it worked between him/them & Mikey or not, you could choose to just keep the new one(s) til they found a home, or you could adopt him/them..

I have found that older rats whose friends have died like having new friends
You might see about getting an older rattie that needs a home, a couple of spayed girls, or a couple of young rats that he can groom, boss around and snuggle with …… if you get young rats you will want to get two so they can play with each other and not bug him ….. getting rats that are being rehomed reduces the risk of disease if they have not been around other rats and are healthy, or rats from a rescue that have been quarantined
If rehomed rats do not come with a cage or the rescue can not lend you a cage, then you can make a bin carrier for the new rat(s) while you are doing gradual intros …….. a good rescue will take back rats if you can no longer care for them.
some info : https://www.ratshackforum.com/threads/reference-thread-read-only.35894/

I am so very sorry for your loss

I have found that the older boys really like girls (spayed ones of couse). However, make sure you get at least 2 more so when your boy dies you'll again have a lonely rat.

Did you let your boy sniff is cagemate and see that he was gone? I have found they recover much quicker when they get to say good bye. You can also try a small stuff toy as a cage mate, but not squeakers they can swollow if they tear it open.

Back