Should I Dose Both Babies? (URI)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
W

wamydia

Hi all.

I brought home two baby rats (approx 6 weeks) from the snake food bin on Saturday. Things seemed well, so I put the new babies into my existing group of 5 boys on Tuesday. Everything is good except that I’m pretty sure one of the babies now has a URI. I thought I heard him make a strange sound yesterday, but it wasn’t until tonight that I was able to hear him make a distinct gasping inhale. I was looking right at him and he looked like he was definitely gasping.

I have started him on Baytril and Doxy tonight, but I’m wondering if I should go ahead and dose the other baby as well even though he seems healthy? What about my 5 older boys (ages 3mo-1.5yr)?

I wouldn't. In fact, your first rat probably just had the new cage sneezes. My new rat made the same noises accompanied by sneezes but they disappeared when she settled in.

I'm totally with Renee. Unless a new kid is obviously sick give it a few days til they settle in. Sounds like your one baby might really be sick, so ok. But Never start antibiotics on a kid unless you're sure they're Required! We need to guard against kids building up resistances to un-needed antibiotics, you want to be sure they'll help when they're truly needed..
In future - this is why quarantine is recommended before intro'ing new kids to existing kids.

Back