Should I breed?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hehe! Thanks for all of the comments on my little beauty! When I first saw her, this was me: :tongue: :bliss: just couldn't help myself! I was so excited!! I can't wait until I get my pics of my other babies uploaded to my new computer, then I will be sure to introduce myself and my ratties in the other area.

I was also thinking that it would be really nice to know if there is another way, besides breeding or looking back farther down the bloodline to see if your rat is recessive or dominant high white... Does anyone know? or is it best to just assume that every blaze is a high white. That's what I think I will be doing from now on. I knew all about MC, but I was certain that Willow was recessive otherwise I never would have tried a breeding in the first place. Like I said though, her original breeder said that a breeding with Moosh would be a good idea, so I assumed that it was safe and that her HW was recessive. Ah well, better to keep her figure girlish like you said!!!

:tumkiss:

Shelagh has a thread going for MC info

http://jorats.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=175

There is an article there about MC, for some reason its not coming up on my end...not sure why.

I'm not really sure that they have figured any other way to actually find the MC/high white genes beyond most people do not breed the high whites. Shelagh may be able to point you in the right direction, as she knows more about the MC stuff.

Oh! I have another question! (Last paragraph is kind of nasty but is part of nature and part of life, Please don't read it if you get sick easily)

I know from experience that ratties get depressed when they lose a cagemate, but is it the same when they lose a pregnancy? Willow has been a little down lately. She's still playful, but she is cuddling more and more and not wanting to leave Mommy and Daddy at play time. The only time she wanders far from either of us is to come and see the other parent. She also looks a little bit frantic when she is in her cage and we are in the room. She doesn't pace or anything, just looks out at us very intently and watches where we go in the room, like she really wants to be with us. She's also been giving more kisses (if that's possible!!).

Vet says that she doesn't have any infection and that she is in high health, but I still worry that maybe she's depressed. We let her have the baby, we knew that it was the best way to cope and also to regain hydration, energy and calories after the whole ordeal, as well as the natural pain relievers from the placenta and ...everything. Kind of gross, but part of nature. If we had known that it would be only one, we would have considered taking it away for a proper burial.

Thank you mamarat!! That helped me a lot, I think that it wouldn't be a bad idea to make that information a sticky and to keep it on the forum at all times for everyone to read, especially new members!

Thanks again!! :D

mamarat2 Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:05 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any chance of finding her a new female friend? Or neutering Moosh?
When Brenna is finished with quarantine we will try her with Willow. Willow and Baby Girl don't get along, so they have to be apart. Both get enough out time with us, but I would love to get Willow a cagemate. If it doesn't work out, I am sure that Baby Girl will get along with Brenna, they are a lot alike, just hopefully not too much alike! Naughty Girls that they are!!

Willow Bean said:
That helped me a lot, I think that it wouldn't be a bad idea to make that information a sticky and to keep it on the forum at all times for everyone to read, especially new members!

Its a sticky in the health and general care area :D

Thanks lilspaz for finding that! Also, thanks mamarat, I'm glad it's a sticky! I was thinking of how helpful that information was!

Back