Should I be concerned?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

julian

Recently, my oldest rat Bubbers, 1y11m, has been showing some really out of the ordinary behaviour, like trying to catch her tail and take it away, she has been doing that for hours, even after having the cage doors open all day she hasn't left, and she has been aggressively and excessively grooming her sister, Berry (she is a dwarf rat, i thought i'd mention since she isnt touching her other sister who is normal sized). I took Berry out of the cage as she was squeaking loudly to see if she wanted to leave or go back in the cage with Bubbers, but she ran away quite fast and is hiding at the moment, which makes me think berry was hurt a little? Bubbers has also been aggressively trying to pull and chew my clothes whenever she got the chance, and she'd never bitten or did that to me before (she hasn't been biting on purpose, its just really aggressive when she does it.)
She is still eating and drinking, but I'm worried as she is getting on a bit now. I was thinking it was something to do with her wanting to be motherly, but I don't know how it came out of nowhere and especially since she is being aggressive. She is old and has never had babies before, so that confused me too?
Could this be something concerning?

I forgot to mention that she is staying in a little hut in the cage, that's where she was trying to take her tail and she is collecting a lot of paper bedding into there, which she doesnt usually do a lot, she usually sleeps up in the hammocks. She hasnt moved from here all day despite me trying to take her out and the doors being open all day. She just runs back in.

Back