Shelled nuts? (edit)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riana

Forgive me if this has been asked before, but I just wanted to know what is okay and what is not okay to give your rats regarding nuts in shells. I know that for rats they can be a great toy, and I know that in some diets whole shelled peanuts are given. What is safe for your rat to have?

I bought a bag of Peanuts in the shell, but I don't know if they have been roasted or not. Is this safe? (Certainly holding off until I hear before I give them to the boys.) How can I be sure that something has been 'roasted' or not?

EDIT: Whee, the peanuts are dry roasted! :D! They're Krispy Kernels in shell peanuts, incase anyone wants to get some! I'll definately give them to the boys now!

Very timely ...

I just gave all the ratties some unsalted roasted peanuts in their shells ... will be a horrible mess but they are having lots of fun.

I don't know how you tell ... I bought mine at the grocery store and the bag says that they are unsalted and roasted. As you can see, I know very little about this topic :wink:

My girls absolutely adore the nuts in the shell that you can get at Christmas time and afterwards. Now is a good time to buy, because they are sometimes on sale.

Edith was the only one who could consistently get into the walnuts, but they find almonds and hazelnuts fairly easy. Brazil nuts are a challenge, but pecans are great.

Not something I'd give them every day, but they make a wonderful treat and a terrible mess!

I remember something vaguely about almonds, can anyone else remember this?

Watch the nuts as they are high in fats and proteins but fine for an occasional treat.

And just one word of warning..slightly OT...poppy seeds are deadly to rats even in tiny amounts. So if you eat poppyseed bagels make sure its nowhere near your ratties. :shock:

My rat loves walnuts. She rarely gets through the shell before I toss them out when I clean the cage. But she absolutly loves playing with them! :lol: Ocasionally I'd crack open the nuts so she gets to taste it.. very fatty though.

Peanuts in shall are fun but I've heard that some type of mold commonly growing on peanuts are toxic to rats. So I stop buying them just to be cautious.

This is a copy from a very knowledgeable rat lover, I'm sure she wouldn't mind me coying this info here. I've asked her in the past for other info and she indeed gave me permission. I can't find her anymore so I'll just post it cause it's really good information:

Bitter almonds (Prunus dulcis amara) when raw contain amygdalin which
after contact with water (such as in the mouth or in the stomach) releases
hydrocyanide. So bitter almonds are quite toxic if not correctly prepared.
Hydrocyanic acid (aka Prussic acid) breaks down quickly when heated & is
deactivated by preparation, but when raw a single bitter almond yields one
milligram of hydrocyanide, which could kill a rat. It would take 20 raw
bitter almonds to kill an adult human, ten to kill a child or a
medium-sized dog.

Although completely safe after heating, there are nevertheless major legal
restrictions in the United States regarding sale of bitter almonds, which
makes them nearly impossible for you or I or any member of the public to
obtain. They are used in the manufacture of syrups & extracts & we can
obtain these utterly safe syrups & extracts, but the raw bitter almond
itself most of us Americans will never in our life see, because our
government doesn't trust us to not be retarded about preparation, & from
what I've seen, our government is probably right. But most other countries
assume their citizens aren't dumb enough to eat bitter almonds raw.

Sweet almonds (Prunus dulcis dulcis) are not toxic. Almonds grown in
California for the domestic market are devoid of amygdalin, hence cannot
under any circumstance produce hydrocyanide; you could even eat them raw,
though they're only sold blanched or roasted. Imported sweet almonds if
raw will have trace amounts of amygdalin if raw (insufficient to harm even
a rodent), & none whatsoever as prepared for market. But our domestic
almonds don't contain amygdalin even when raw, so lack even the most
far-out distant chance of so much as the mildest toxicity.

Sweet almonds are however 50% fat -- no nut should be a major part of a
rodent's diet, whose fat requirements are very low. On the other hand
sweet almonds do have beneficial antioxidants, plant proteins, minerals,
vitamins A & B, & other nutritious, tasty, & healthy benefits, so are a
good-health treat for rats just so long as the total daily fat intake of a
rat is monitored.

By the by, apple seeds also contain amygdaline which releases hydrocyanide
if chewed or injested. Giving a rat an apple core with seeds in it could
therefore be dangerous. Pits of cherries, plums, peaches, & apricots are
likewise harbingers of hydrocyanide, but the toxic kernel is difficult to
get at because the pit is so hard on the outside, whereas appleseeds are
more accessible. Although the amount of hydrocyanide obtainable from a
couple appleseeds isn't likely to be sufficient to kill a rodent, it's
even so a more sensible thing to avoid than sweet almonds.

They certainly have a lot of fun and exercise carrying them around in their shells and trying to eat them. :)

Thanks for the info, jorats.

99% of the nuts you purchase in stores are roasted. The only time I've noticed unroasted nuts were in farmer's market type grocery stores and some health/whole food stores.

Those are roasted. They're packaged for actual consumption, not out of a bulk bin or for cooking.

If you're still really unsure about it, don't feed it to them. You can snack on them and get a bag that clearly says "roasted" for them if it makes you more comfy.

I think if they are pre-packaged then they must be roasted so they have a longer shelf life but if you are concerned, they have a toll free number: Toll free: 1 800 463-6854 and tell them what kind you have and make sure you have the bag handy :D

Back