Sharp Hardware Cloth

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Faint

Noah
Hi how do you get rid of the sharp edges after you've cut hardware cloth to fit the ferret nations? We tried sand paper blocks but it just stabbed through. Is there anything we could put on a drill to be faster or just a metal file? And if so what kind of metal file there's a million different kinds.

I following a tutorial for fastening on the inside as it looks nicer and it makes the chance of them getting anything stuck between the cage and wire apparently

I following a tutorial for fastening on the inside as it looks nicer and it makes the chance of them getting anything stuck between the cage and wire apparently
Do you have a link to a tutorial?! I want to put wire on inside but only find videos for outside

DON'T put it on the inside! you'll never get every little pokey bit smooth enough not to stab or scratch, and that stuff will hold pee & germs. They'll run around and want to climb, if they get poked or even scratched with that stuff they could end up with a costly & painful infection or abscess.
Also, that stuff is fine on the outside of the cage short-term til they grow if your bars are too wide, but it absorbs pee smells and you can't get it clean, it will be full of germs & stink in time..
If your kids are small you're better to save your energy and spring for a smaller closer-barred cage til they are safe in the ferret nation..

Last edited:
When I had to cover my wire cage for small babies, I used duct tape on the sharp ends. I folded the tape so that it would stick to itself on the ends rather than wrapping it around tightly so the wire could just poke through. It didn't work incredibly well, but it did the job for the time I needed it. I think that any file that you can find at a hardware store with a straight edge would work just fine, just be sure to file all around the sides of the sharp edge to make sure that they won't still hurt you or the ratties. I believe the files with finer teeth will give you a smoother edge if they're anything like sandpaper.

Back