Seriously? Like... Really?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrangishPinkishBlue

So, I undoubtedly make friends who could..... Could use a knock on the head with something dull and heavy. I currently have a friend who moved to Mexico to escape some family issue and to get a new job. She wanted some companions, and her apartment didn't allow any animal that wasn't in a cage. So, she got two rats... A brother and sister. and I said:
"Oh! Great! Be sure to seperate them after the surgery!"
She sounded confused, "What surgery?" She asked.
I then, confused myself, said "The spay or neuter."
she sounded frustrated at this point "I'm not getting them fixed." she stated.
I said "Oh well.. seperate cages then?"
She responded "No"
and I said "well.. You know like nothing about rats. Why would you breed them? Do you even know if someone is going to take the babies?"
She laughed and said "Ashley, they won't breed... "
I laughed myself, now getting annoyed and said "Why do you think that? Are you going to tell them 'no' and magically they'll stop any ounce of instinct they have?"
THEN
THEN SHE SAID
"No. Because they're brother and sister."

I...I....
:gaah: :rant: :gaah:

REALLY!?
I TOOK A MOMENT
THEN BEGAN LAUGHING HYSTERICALLY.
"What do you mean they wont breed because they're brother and sister! They're ANIMALS they don't CARE. THEY WILL."
She then had the audacity to get mad at ME and said:
"Yah okay, like I'll take advice from someone like YOU who can't even tell the difference between a boy and girl rat."
THEN SHE HUNG UP ON ME.
SH- I-
lsdfklsdfkljsdf

:wallbang:

Since when do animals care its their sibling? Exactly the word... SERIOUSLY, what a thick headed friend there, heck with her! Go find some new rattie friends who know what rats are about and leave the dumb ones to their fate. Though in all honesty I feel bad for the ratties in the hands of those idiots. PFFFFFFT

I wonder what the conversation will be (if there is even a conversation) when the litter is born...

>.< I facepalm-chuckled pretty hard at this one, but I'm not surprised that there are these kinds of people out there.

that is like the pet store i went to in the town i grew up in, they had a litter of 5 rats, all at least 6 months old, mixed genders, i asked if he was worried they would breed, he looked at me and said "well they are from the same litter, and i haven't seen them do anything...." he looked at me like i was a moron for asking. they are kept in a back room kind of thing, so he cannot see them unless he goes to look, not like he sees them every day all day. i only went in to cage watch like i enjoy doing to kill time, but will never step foot in that place again, even though i have never bought anything from them haha

I hope she will at least have the humility to call you when the oops litter arrives. to say you were right, sorry, and see if you have advice for finding homes. good lord, its truly frightening how little sense people can have. I'm sorry she got mad at you when you were only trying to help.

Wow, just when I've thought I have heard it all - and believe me in my job, I've pretty much heard it all!!! Can't fix stupid!!!!

I know exactly how you feel..I am sure we all do. :wallbang:

Now watch..watch her contact you begging you to take the babies off her hands.
What even are we supposed to do in situations like this?! People need to let go of their ego especially being new to rats! If a sister and brother human were to have intercourse, the sister would likely get pregnant! DUH.

When I first came here I had owned 2 rats, lone males in my time. First rat lived for 4yrs, second rat passed by foul play of a family member... Point being I still didn't know much about rats in regards to good food, personality, some major basic needs like compainionship and cage setup. Im not about to question the ladies here on their wisdom in regards to rats. Why should your friend question you again when she has NO experience with rats? Sorry but stupid is the word to describe her here.

What was it that PT Barnum (?) said about that you can never lose money underestimating the intelligence of people? There's the perfect example.

You can always offer to give ethics courses to her two rats on the evils of incest.

Wow, sorry all! I haven't checked this forum in quite a while.

After much pestering, I finally got updates on the rats ... Or lack there of. She must of stopped cleaning the cages, started feeding them table scraps and stopped giving them wipe downs. The neighbors gave a complaint about the smell of her apartment, and she was told that she had to remove the animals, as even though the rats were in a cage, they were a 'different case' and she'd have to get rid of them. I asked how crowded the cage was that it smelled THAT BAD and she said the girl HAD babies... Eight of them. She supposedly left the boy in the same area, saying he wasn't hurting anything.

Long story short, ten rats in a single cage were donated back to the store she bought them from.

God awful news from this...

@#$#$^$#%#%#$%#% god i wanna cuss how i feel about your friend SO BADLY!!!!!!!!!!!! :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot:

Back