Separation anxiety?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SandraM

I've had two female rats, litter mates, since May 2019. I have to travel out of town once a month, generally only for a 4 day weekend, and my neighbor looks in on the girls for me. Used to be the girls would be fine. Back in Sep I had to be gone for 2 weeks and when I got home Pepper had a chewed up tail, Sage was just fine. I took Pepper to the vet where she was given antibiotics, we got her tail cleared up, and then I had to leave for a weekend, got back and her tail was chewed again. I separated the girls thinking Sage had chewed her sister up, but Pepper's tail got worse the next time I had to leave. Considering that I had just gradually switched the girls to adult rat food the vet and I decided to put Pepper on an exclusion diet, to see if she was chewing herself due to a food allergy. Pepper was doing well, tail almost healed, healthy weight, soft coat, moist nose. After having to be out of town for a week, her tail is just about destroyed again! My vet and I are at wits end, granted he does not specialize in rodents, but he has been consulting with someone who does. Neither he nor his consult have ever seen a case like this. Help!! How can I keep my bitty baby from chewing herself up?

Can you please post a picture of the chewing.? It might help more experienced people(not me-) figure out the cause and help you out..

I haven't actually seen her chew herself and when I'm home for the most part she doesn't even groom her tail, unless I put ointment on it, then she promptly licks it all off!

Attachments

• 20191221_202126.jpg
    20191221_202126.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 324
Hmm random thought here.. Is there any excessive scratching going on when you're home..? If you feel them both are there any scabs on their bodies.? Like near the rump or shoulders.?

Back