Senior rat with tumor- quality of life concerns

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saram519

Hello all! I was just seeking advice on next steps for our rat.

Our 2-2.5 year old girl had a tumor removed back in july. She had an extremely rough recovery, lost a lot of weight due to food refusal despite our efforts to keep her fed, and was just generally miserable for an entire week. Flash forward 2 months later, yet another tumor had shown up. We decided that we didn't want to put her through another surgery due to her age and previous difficulties. The tumor is getting pretty big- almost golf ball sized now. It does not impact her ability to move and climb in cage, but has affected her ability to jump up and down on couch which we assist with. She appears to be slowing down energy wise however, eating a tad less and not wanting to play when she has her roaming free time- all she wants to do is lay on couch with us and sleep.

Im having a difficult time determining if it's rearing towards her time or if she is depressed due to losing her sister in November. We decided we would hold off on getting more rats for a while due to my allergies being pretty severe with them so unfortunately she's alone. But we take her out of cage for several hours of the day in increments.

What are some warning signs that she may be getting closer to dying? I dont want to wait until her quality of life is completely impacted or too late, but I also don't want to put her to sleep too soon. I want her to be able to have the best quality of life without suffering. Any suggestions would be helpful!

Also, We had to put her sister to sleep due to huge excessive blood filled growths that appeared on her hind side, vet had no idea what they even were and said she would not survive 2 hour surgery. We made the choice to put her sister to sleep because vet said the growths would rupture soon/randomly causing death. We were able to make that choice for her and we didn't even wait on any signs. This is why it's so difficult for us with persephone due to just not knowing signs to look for.

where is the tumour on your lass? Some areas are better than others for not affecting them as much.
If she's happy, eating, moving as best as she can, then don't worry too much. Mammary tumours aren't painful until they are very big and start pulling and weighing the rat down, impeding mobility where she cannot adapt to it.
Weight loss is another big sign as these tumours can steal the nutrients from your rat.

The tumor is on her right side closer to her for paws. Sadly we think she might have had a stroke and has lost all function of her left paw, she has been unable to eat, let alone walk around. We have made the choice to sadly put her to sleep due to this extreme decline.

Thank you so much for your response,

Back