Seizure medication not working

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oasisandbambi

Hello, I have this baby boy, Luci, who has ridiculously violent seizures. Not "classic" seizures, he will run in a blind panick, in full speed and strength agains anything in front of him ( usually cage bars ). This results in pretty bad injury. He's been on medication for I think over a month ( phenobarbital ) with little improvement. We had is dosage increase but still no improvement. He has about 2/3 seizures a day.
I tried covering the cage with something fluffy but I have rats with chronic respiratory issues and can't have the whole cage covered everyday or it will block air circulation. If I cover just a few parts of the cage he will still get badly injured. Last time I covered most of the cage and left the gate uncovered he was able to get his neck stuck between the gate bars from how hard he pushed through it.
He keeps hurting himself and I'm not sure what to do, I was counting on medication to at least stop him from getting injured. My question is where do I go from here? Should he get an X-ray to look for a brain tumour that might be causing this? Should I try a different medication?
Also, the tip of his tails is starting to turn dark. He'll be seeing a vet soon I would just like to know if any of you know what this might be? Thank you.

@SQ @lilspaz68
We went to the vet, vet checked his heart, lungs and everything. Said everything was working perfectly. The tail wasn't colder and neither were his limbs so me and the vet agreed he might have just injured it during a seizure. It is getting pinkier again. He is on a higher dosage of anticonvulsant so hopefully it helps :( The vet did find a "very strange internal mass" on his belly area. She isn't sure what it might be but we are coming back there soon to check for any growth. This baby can't catch a break.

Back