Seeking Advice on Making a Jungle Gym

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ratmama17

I have double CN and I'm interested in making the bottom half into a jungle gym/ climbing toy for my girls. I've seen pictures of people using wine racks with modifications (such as rope ladders and tunnels) What should I look for if I want to purchase a wine rack to use for that? or would it be best to make my own wine rack and modify as I go? What kind of wood would be best and what should I use to keep it all together (nails, screws, woodglue)? Any suggestions for fun things to put on the jungle gym itself?

A completely different idea would be to make my own cat tree style play surface, which would include levels to climb on instead of having to walk tight ropes etc. This might be better for my older girls, but wouldn't be as mentally stimulating. In this case would I use a wood base and seal it off for easy cleaning? what would I use to finish the wood in that manner?

I don't know about a jungle gym,
but you could hang hammocks and also hang tubes on side of the cage (such as 4 inch diameter drainage pipe cut into 12 or 15 inch lengths) - they can go through the tubes or scamper across the top of them
and a few tubes with connectors on the floor

Rats also love space pods so you might want to hang one of those.
and attach a thick bird rope at and angle to the side of the cage

some people have small cat climbers, in addition to boxes to play in/climb on/explore, connected tubes, hammocks, fisher price and little tykes toys, etc in their ratties safe, free range play area outside of the cage

Sorry I couldn't answer your question, but I thought that you might find these ideas interesting

Back