Secret Pal Exchange~UPDATE did not receive gift? PAGE 29

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mamarat2

I've been involved with one before and since we have a somewhat "small" group here on the forum I thought it might be nice to try to get to know each other a bit better, and who better than to exchange a gift with than a fellow rat owner? :D

How it works
The way it works is you are assigned a secret pal, I will be assigning pals. You then send your secret pal hints about who you are via snail mail, email, e-cards. You need to at least send one hint by the set hint date but you can continue to send multiple hints. When you are assigned your pal you will receive the list of questions they filled out with all of their info/likes/dislikes. You'll need to send your pal a gift by the set date for gift to be mailed. Pals will then be revealed after all gfts are received. You can guess your pal anytime, this thread will continue to be active for that purpose. Pals, if your person guesses you correctly its up to you if you want to tell them they guessed right or you can just wait until I reveal names!

Please be advised that the timeline for this pal exchange is somewhat shorter than many of you may be used to with other exchanges but I think it gives us all plenty of time to have some fun before the holidays start getting crazy and out of control. We can always get another one started in the future if this goes well.

Some RULES!!

1. Please look at your calendar and my dates listed to be sure you can really participate.

2. If you sign up and end up scewing your pal over DO NOT plan on participating in anymore secret pal exchanges on the Rat Shack. End of story. That's about as honest as I can be. :D

3. Gift price range is $20-$25, this does NOT include the price you will pay to ship the gift.

4. Hints can be sent via email, snail mail, e-card, etc. Be creative!! :D

Ok so, the following is the breakdown of dates/deadlines:

October 13th - must be signed up by midnight

October 15th - receive your pals information via email or pm from me

November 1st - have at least one hint postmarked or emailed to your pal about your identity by this date
(feel free to send more than one hint throughout the timeline)

November 30th - have your gift POSTMARKED to your pal by then, in other words mail it!!

December 15th - pals revealed

Ok so if you are still reading this and want to participate fill out and email the questionaire below to me at:

[email protected]

1. What is your name? (real - first and last - and YOUR user name):

2. What is your email address? (Make sure this is an email that actually works
and that you check it regularly.):

3. What is your mailing address?:

4. Are you allergic to anything?:

5. Do you have any hobbies?:

6. What kind of pets do you own? Males/Females? Special needs?:

7. What are your favourite animals?:

8. Do you wear jewelry? Do you have pierced ears?:

9. Are you married? Do you have nonfur kids? What are their ages and genders?:

10. Do you have any favourite colors/smells?:

11. Do you drink coffee or tea?:

12. What are your favourite candies/sweets?:

13: What kind of gift (that can be shipped easily) would be your dream gift?:

14: Is there anything you absolutely do not want to get?:

15. Is there anything else you'd like to mention that you think might help your secret pal learn more about you, or your interests?:

If you are looking to receive something specifically geared towards rats speak up!!! :lol:

Signed up so far. Remember email me to get signed up!:

Zooy
SoA
mamarat2
Cait
Jorats
LA
MumsyRat
Sheryl
Mamarat
Melissa's ZOO aka My6Girls
Nickelrat
Melissa
Unglued
Chicky82
Moon

Come on!!! Nobody out there wants to have some fun and get to know your fellow board members a bit more????

I know a few of you said you'd be interested.........

It's also not limited to buying stuff for people, I know many of us are very talented when it comes to working with the sewing machine!

I'm in too... it sounds like a lot of fun!!

So we don't reveal our identity, only bit by bit till they get the gift? Or do we still not reveal even after the gift?

jorats said:
I'm in too... it sounds like a lot of fun!!

So we don't reveal our identity, only bit by bit till they get the gift? Or do we still not reveal even after the gift?

Normally it works that you keep your identity secret until everyone gets their gifts and then we reveal who had who. I think if you are inclined to take a guess and its right, if the person wants to they can tell the other person their guess is right.

Like I said the goal is to have some fun and get to know each other a bit, I am not going to enforce that you can't tell people if they guess right. The main overall rule is have fun and if you sign up to participate, participate :D

Here's another dumb question... won't people recognize your email address or your addree when sending them hints?
Ya, can you tell I've never done this before?
Oh wait... we could always get someone else to send it for you? mmm, my wheels are turning!

jorats said:
Here's another dumb question... won't people recognize your email address or your addree when sending them hints?
Ya, can you tell I've never done this before?
Oh wait... we could always get someone else to send it for you? mmm, my wheels are turning!

You have to think of ways to get around that :D Hence the creavtivity! You can always set up a free hotmail or yahoo account to disguise your identity, or there are quite a few sites where you can send an ecard and it doesn't ask for a return email addy or maybe someone you know (hubby/relative/friend/wife) you can use their email.

I always like snail mail because you can also disguise it that way, for example I put my friends address who is in another state as the return address.....kinda throws them off :)

Cait said:
I would, but. Shipping to Canada might cost more than the actual gift. :lol:

Shipping is a consideration, but your not required to send a big bulky item. Hammocks, wonderrodent cubes, javakitties' mats and cage liners and she also does some kind of hammocks I think. Plus there are lots of light things that can be shipped.

I'm so in on this. :D

Cait said:
I would, but. Shipping to Canada might cost more than the actual gift. :lol:

It really isn't too bad at all. Unless you're sending something heavy, it isn't much more than sending inside the US. I send packages to Canadialand all the time!

I wonder if it would be ok for people to request to have their secret pal be from their own country?

As for me, I don't mind shipping it far. Another thing to keep in mind, if shipping over seas, it can take a very long time to get there.

jorats said:
I wonder if it would be ok for people to request to have their secret pal be from their own country?

As for me, I don't mind shipping it far. Another thing to keep in mind, if shipping over seas, it can take a very long time to get there.

If anyone would like to request a pal within their country I can do my best :D

I would loooove to have a secret pal from Canada, since then I could (hopefully) get some of those adorable fleece blankets from the dollar store!

Do we have to say how much we spend including tax? I now the limits is 20-25 dollars but we don't have to say exactly how much we spent? because I would feel bad if someone spent $25 on me and I knew plus tax while I spend $20 with tax :(

I don't think we reveal the amount. Some people can find some real treasures at the dollar stores, so it really can't compare. Also, those that sew things, won't spend the same amount either.

I have never done one of these before, I have never felt comfortable. But, this is a pretty small forum and I feel like I know most of you already so I am in. :D

Back