Scared Rat

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bree

my girly had a little episode where she ran and hit behind the couch. I got her out but ever since then she’s been terrified of me. She won’t even take a treat from me. When she sees me she hunches up in a corner of her cage. Her eyes get big and I can see the blue in them (which I think means they are super scared) and she freezes. Normally she would come up to me and climb into my hands. And when I would walk by she would climb up and look at me and I would cuddle her. I’m worried. All my attempts to regain her trust just scare her more. I’ve left her alone for now. I don’t want to stress her out anymore then she is already. She only moves to get food and water. She won’t even play with her sister. I’m super worried. Please help!
Thanks

Is there any signs of sickness? Excessive sneezing, coughing, ect.? As for the fear you can sit by the cage with the door open and play with her sister to show her that you are a friend Keep trying to give her treats and if she doesn't take them from you try putting them in front of her so she can take them without fear if she wants. It will take time and a lot of patience but I think she'll come around.

Is there any signs of sickness? Excessive sneezing, coughing, ect.? As for the fear you can sit by the cage with the door open and play with her sister to show her that you are a friend Keep trying to give her treats and if she doesn't take them from you try putting them in front of her so she can take them without fear if she wants. It will take time and a lot of patience but I think she'll come around.

No, there isn't any hint that she is could be sick she sneezes occasionally so I'm not sure if that means anything...
thanks for the help! I just hope she feels better soon :)

I scared my little Mackie one day. I mean terrified her. The door on her cage slammed and made a loud clank, and she was trying to come out to see me when it happened. She hasn't been a shy rat since I first got her almost 2 years ago, but every time someone, especially me went near her cage, she would freak. She hid in the corner and trembled. I left her alone after attempting to pet her and talk to her. Just left her alone for the evening. By the next day she was cautious, but came up to me. Then later, after I gave her baby food treats, she was fine again. It really broke my heart to see her like that, but I figured the fear she experienced was a pretty big stress, and it stressed her out more for me to push trying to get her to come to me. So maybe she just needs time. Do you know why she ran behind the couch to begin with?

I scared my little Mackie one day. I mean terrified her. The door on her cage slammed and made a loud clank, and she was trying to come out to see me when it happened. She hasn't been a shy rat since I first got her almost 2 years ago, but every time someone, especially me went near her cage, she would freak. She hid in the corner and trembled. I left her alone after attempting to pet her and talk to her. Just left her alone for the evening. By the next day she was cautious, but came up to me. Then later, after I gave her baby food treats, she was fine again. It really broke my heart to see her like that, but I figured the fear she experienced was a pretty big stress, and it stressed her out more for me to push trying to get her to come to me. So maybe she just needs time. Do you know why she ran behind the couch to begin with?

I’m not entirely sure why maybe she was just curious or something like that. She’s starting to come out more at night rather then just sit in her corner so I think that’s good. I’m glad your rats okay!
These posts make me feel a little better. At least I’m not the only one who scared my rat

I’m not entirely sure why maybe she was just curious or something like that. She’s starting to come out more at night rather then just sit in her corner so I think that’s good. I’m glad your rats okay!
These posts make me feel a little better. At least I’m not the only one who scared my rat
Not at all ! I have two boys and one of them is scared of EVERYTHING ! If you pick up the treat bad he jumps to the floor ;-;

Back